1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Enabling DMA, tricky

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by drumster, Feb 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. drumster

drumster Thread Starter

Hi guys,

The problem I am having is a bit tricky. Its about the question that people have asked hundreds of time about enabling DMA under windows XP. Well a few months back I was trying to enable DMA, but it just wasnt working out. Then I changed the drivers of my IDE Controller from Microsoft drivers to Intel drivers and DMA got enabled.

Now I used Nero Info Tool (was having some problems with my CD Drive). The output I am getting is in the picture below (q1.jpg) It shows that on one of my HDDs, on the 80GB (Operating drive), DMA is enabled. But on my 250 GB drive DMA is not enabled.

Now all the online articles about DMA say that in the Device manager you have to go to the Primary Channel, Click on Properties and Advanced Settings to enable DMA. I am adding another screenshot of that Properties window (q2.jpg). It does not have the Advanced Settings Tab at all!! Any ideas?

Things I tried/ checked:
    • Ensured that the data cables were 80 conductor cables
    • Uninstalled the channel and re-booted so that windows would detect it again and enable DMA/ show the Advanced Settings dialog box.

I tried all possible options, but theres no way of doing this. So either the Nerocheck tool is reporting it wrongly or I do not know the solution. I tried using the DMACheck utility (which is actually meant for Windows NT 4.0), but it did not work.

Attached Files:

• q1.JPG
      q1.JPG
      File size:
      32.4 KB
      Views:
    • q2.JPG
      q2.JPG
      File size:
      28.6 KB
      Views:
  2. bonk

bonk Banned

Have you tried clicking on the Secondary IDE Channel and see what comes up in Device Manager.

3. drumster

drumster Thread Starter

Same thing comes up. No advanced settings tab

4. bonk

bonk Banned

Got any Chip-Set drivers for the board

5. cmw2010

cmw2010

Are you saying you installed Intel Application Accelerator for your drives? If so the DMA settings are made through the Intel program not in Device Manager.

6. drumster

drumster Thread Starter

Yeah, I have installed Intel Application Accelerator... And the Intel Accelerator says that DMA is enabled on both drives and shows their status as UDMA-5 which is fine. But Nero InfoTool shows DMA not enabled on one of the drives. Is this a problem with Nero InfoTool? I mean because the drivers are NOT the windows drivers, it might not be able to read the DMA registers. Is this possible?

7. cmw2010

cmw2010

8. drumster

drumster Thread Starter

Thanks a lot man!! That saved me a lot of sleepless nights :D

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544540

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice