1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Enabling File sharing between two laptops having different version of Windows

Discussion in 'Networking' started by j.gohel, Apr 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. j.gohel

j.gohel Thread Starter

Apr 23, 2009

I have following 2 laptops with the mentioned details.

Notebook 1:-
    (HP Pavilion dv2000)
    OS: Windows XP professional Version 2002 Service pack 2
    Local Area Connection Device Name: Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection

Notebook 2:-
    (HP Pavilion tx2000)
    Local Area Connection Device Name: NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller

I don't have any kind of internet connectivity.
    My only purpose is to share my files in both of these notebooks between each other.
    How can I achieve this? I tried googling this but could not found anything desired.

I am totally novice to networking.So if possible provide me some detailed steps to set up the desired networking and what all will be required to set up the same.

Also when I execute "ipconfig" command on any of the above mentioned machines I get the message "media disconnected".Can anybody explain me the reason behind this?

Thanks in advance.

2. dlsayremn

Feb 9, 2008
    "Media disconnected" means your either network interface devices are turned off or if on, nothing is plugged into the ethernet port and/or your wireless card is not connected to a network.
  3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

Mar 23, 2005
    First Name:
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/821249