1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

enabling javascript

Discussion in 'Software Development' started by Cora, Feb 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cora

Cora Thread Starter

When I go to websites, for example www.victoriassecret.com and try to click on an item and then click on "larger view, back view, side view, etc" tabs I get "javascript void" and my PC cannot bring the link up for me to get a good look at what I would be buying.

I have Windows XP. I turned off any pop up blockers. My IE is 6.0 and my java is version 5.1.3810, both very updated. When I went to a website recommended on another thread with a similar problem I see my browser is not Javascript enabled but is Java Applet enabled. The link I tested it out on is...http://www.bodo.com/javame.htm

How can I get the javascript enabled? Thanks!

2. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

First try this in your address bar and see if you get an alert box with IE's useragent info.

javascript:alert(navigator.userAgent);

Then make sure you don't have any Norton products filtering your pages.

Then, you have to adjust your settings for each security zone.

In IE, click on tools->options.

Under the security tab, if you set internet zone to media and click apply, javascript should be enabled for all sites.

However, to be extra safe, it's better to keep/set the internet zone to high, set the trusted sites zone to medium and add sites to the trusted zone that you want to allow javascript for.

Specifically, click on the 'sites' button for the trusted zone. Uncheck 'require server....', and add your trusted sites to the list.

And just for extra info, you should block all cookies except trusted ones.

Under the privacy tab, click 'advanced'.
    check 'override cookies'
    check 'block' for bother 3rd party and first party
    keep 'always allow session cookies' unchecked

Then, back on the privacy tab, click on the 'sites' button and add the sites you want to allow cookies for.

Back on the security tab, make sure the restricted sites zone is on high and unless it has and negative effects, also set the local intranet to high.

Then, on the privacy tab, make sure you check 'block popups' and then click on the 'settings' button to add the sites you want to allow popups for.

If you don't have SP2 installed and your winXP install is healthy, you should install SP2.

Just keep in mind that Sun Java has nothing to do with Javascript.

The javascript links at the VS site do work.

If all else fails, try a non-ancient, modern browser like Opera or Firefox

3. Cora

Cora Thread Starter

Are you SURE that Victoriassecret.com pop ups to enlarge an image work? I downloaded firefox and java, I selected from tools javascript enabling and it still does not work! I am getting irritated over it all because I am a very busy women who does not have time to hit the mall every time I need something, but shopping on-line really sucks now.

4. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

It worked for me, but if it's not working for you maybe you have something filtering your pages like norton or some firewall or proxy.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!