1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Enabling SATA ports

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wolfworx, Nov 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wolfworx

wolfworx Thread Starter

Have an HP Pavilion 620 computer that uses a A7V8X-LA mobo. Noticed that the board has two SATA connectors that were not operational. I went into the BIOS to see if they could be enabled there, but there was no reference anywhere to SATA, so I couldn't enable them.

I did an internet lookup of the BIOS and found a reference to enabling SATA ports in the BIOS under the ADVANCED tab. Unfortunately the BIOS seems to be different on my machine the SATA enable feature is missing.

So far I have not found a BIOS update that provides this feature. Is it a lost cause?

2. Oddba11

Oddba11 It's My Birthday!

First Name:
    Jim
    As it's an OEM PC, they tend to lock down their BIOS. If it's not enabled by default, there is likely a reason. So a new/hacked BIOS likely won't make any difference. It's not often that fully functional hardware is just disabled in the BIOS. They typically don't pay for hardware that then isn't used (ie: SATA controller and ports), as the motherboard would be cheaper to simply order it without those parts. So most likely, all of the necessary hardware isn't on the motherboard.

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

It seems unlikely that ports on the board would not be working. How have you tested them? Have you provided power to whatever you used to test them?

4. wolfworx

wolfworx Thread Starter

Thanks to both of you for your interest and comments.

Elvindil:
    Yes, I tested them by connecting a SATA drive that had worked in another computer.

Oddba11:
    There is no reference to SATA in the BIOS, so your points seem to explain much of what I found.

5. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

It looks like the third and fourth IDE controllers are for the sata
    connectors in IDE emulation mode.
    Make sure those are enabled.
    For that board,if you are using sata 2 drives,you may need to set a jumper on the drives
    for sata one compatability.
    With that old of a board,you may run into a drive size limitation also.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

OK, so you know that the ports don't work with the drives connected why? Because you couldn't feel them spin, because they didn't show in Device Manager or Disk Management, or what?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1027224

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice