1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Enabling UPnP

Discussion in 'Networking' started by rfzbaker, Apr 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rfzbaker

rfzbaker Thread Starter

I use a Versalink Westell 327W modem/router. I was told I should enable my UPnP, think is, I don't know how to go about doing. Could anyone help?

I know how to get into the router through the I.P, the tab reads "Westell Versalink Wireless Gateway"

2. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy rfzbaker...

I'm curious...why was you told that you need to enable this ?

You don't really need the Universal Plug and Pray service enabled...

But if you need it, right click on My Computer - Manage - Services and Applications - Services - look for the service called "Universal Plug and Play Device Host" - double click on it - in Start up Type, click on the down arrow - select Manual - Apply button, then the Start button...

3. rfzbaker

rfzbaker Thread Starter

What exactly does it do. I was told it'd help my download speeds.

4. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Windows Vista will require the UPnP to be enabled to declare the router "fully Vista compatible". That being said, I run with it disabled, and my Vista machines access the net just fine. :)

What UPnP will do is attempt to automatically forward ports for applications that require them. That's a double-edged sword, since you may not want an application to be able to forward ports without you knowing. :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!