1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Encoding email address in profile.

Discussion in 'Site Help, Feedback, & Announcements' started by deepdiver01, Feb 16, 2007.

Advertisement
  1. deepdiver01

deepdiver01 Thread Starter

Hi all.

I have been receiving a lot of spam recently as a result of email addresses in various forum profiles (not necessarily this one).

I amlooking at encoding my email in my profile but to date with no success.

I have a little prog that will encode the email address correctly when it is placed in a 'normal' page. But, if I try using the encoded code (that is terrible but don't know how else to put it) into the textarea for modifying my email address inthe profile, it comes up as an invalid email address, due to the validation code requirements on the site.

Is there any way to put an encoded email address into your profile?

Thanks all.

Mark

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Your email address in your profile is not available to anyone outside the board administration if you have marked it private. It is NOT picked up by web crawlers and the like. Unless you post it in a message, you won't get any SPAM from TSG displaying your email address.

3. deepdiver01

Thanks for the reply John Will.

I didn't think that there was a prob with TSG. It is just that it is a unique address that I only use for forums. So it must be coming from that source.

I have since googled other usernames I use on other forums and have been able to get into the profile from there. Not TSG mind you.

I am trying a couple of email harvesters on them and getting alarming results. I am going to post my results to them when completed.

I am also going to try different email addresses at different forums to try to pin it right down.

Thanks again. And thanks to TSG for the level of security. (y)

4. hewee

hewee

If I do a google search of hewee my tsg profile shows up. Plus other profile of other forums.

You used to be able to go to "Who's Online" and see all the search bots and where they were looking but I don't see that now.

Wonder when that was taken away because you could see them looking at profiles.

Read http://mywebpages.comcast.net/spammeister/

Someplace there was code for how to have your email address on a website so the spambots could not get to it.
    Now it may only be good for your own site because you may not be able to do the same thing in your profile.

5. JohnWill

If your email address is not marked private in your profile, then it might show up.

Try doing a Google of my profile, see if you can see my email address.

6. JohnWill

BTW, I Googled hewee, and I can't see your email address in your profile.

7. hewee

hewee

Yes your email will show up in your profile unless you hide it.

I am hiding mine John.
    Don't need to have my email showing up for the spambots

Remember how forums used to be and your still see some that will show the IP address of each member.
    That made it easy to get the user name and then sent spam to that IP address and if your user name at the forum was the same as your email account all they had to do was guess and you would get spam.

Now I have a email address user name that is not used anyplace else that is a mix of numbers and letters so is hard to just use and spam a ISP.
    So never use just a name that all ISP's will have a member under that name because it's to easy to get spam because all ISP's have a bill, bob, mary, john. hank, sue, betty etc.

8. deepdiver01

Hi John, hi Hewee

Long time no hear. Have been busy with work and setting up some websites trying to make enough money to semi retire.

Sorry I haven't gotten back to you prior to this. Had a major computer meltdown and went out and got a new one. Gee it's fun setting them up. You don't realise how much you have in there until you have to reload. Wasn't too painful re lost data as everything is backed up on an external hard drive.

I don't think that your email showing up in your profile is the major problem. I cannot see too many people going to the trouble of opening every profile on a site.

I tried a couple of email harvesting programs on various sites that have that email address.

Got nothing from the more secure sites such as this one, Sitepoint, Javascript, OsCommerce, etc.

I had given that email address to a couple of minor players, specifically for small application help, and to a couple of other sites offering different things (no, not adult sites).

Running the harvester through them, I ended coming up with about 10,500 email addresses.

This is where they got it from I am sure. Funnily enough, on most of them, I can in fact encode my email address in those sites, whereas with the sites that I could not get anything from, I cannot encode. Does this mean that the sites that I was able to harvest the addresses had html enabled in that area, whereas sites such as this, html is not allowed in the email area of the profile.

I am going to leave my email address not hidden on sites such as this, so that any other members of the community can contact me if they wish.

Thanks again for the input, I guess it is a matter of whether a particular site takes security into their own hands or relies on the person joining the community to look after the security. I know which ones I will be staying with.

Soon.

9. hewee

hewee

Sorry yor PC went south on you but hey you was backed up and got a new one now. :)

So looks like you found the answer to the emails yourself.

Sure sounds to easy to get addresses if you got over 10.000. No wonder spam bots are out there getting address all over.

10. TechGuy

TechGuy Administrator

First Name:
    Mike
    Even when you choose to allow users to contact you via email, they cannot see your email address.

11. JohnWill

I thought that Mike, but I wasn't 100% sure. :) I guess I should have tried not logged in to see what I got. :)

12. deepdiver01

I have just come across a possible fix for the problem of spammers trying to access my site.

They call it spam poison. I will not post a link yet in case it is up to no good.

Is it safe? Has anyone had anything to do with it?

Sounds like it would be helpful but would want to make sure first.

Thanks.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544682

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice