1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

encoding MPEG to DIVX

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by facy102, Feb 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. facy102

facy102 Thread Starter

hi.
    im recording programs to my tv card using windvr, which creates an mpeg file.
    iv been trying using all sort of programs to make those movie files smaller such as TMPGENC, but nothing really makes it easy .. it changes the resolution and tweak it like hell ..
    is there anything out there that transform a simple mpeg to a simple avi/divx using the same resolution and elements?
    thanks.

2. daddyhominum

daddyhominum

virtualdub will do that if you have the needed codecs . remember to change the settings for video and audio to reduce size first.

3. facy102

facy102 Thread Starter

thanks it seems like a fine software..
    but when im trying to open a video it says:
    "MPEG Import filter: Invalid pack at position 3: marker bit not set; possibly MPEG-2 stream

what does that mean?
    and i'v tried it with several vids.. same thing,

4. daddyhominum

daddyhominum

I'm not an expert but I think it means that the encoding codec creates a file that the decoding codec cannot process in all parts.

I think you can over come this by selecting 'direct copy' under the video drop down menu or, if that fails, the 'smart render' option to create a new file that you can put back through VirtualDub choosing the options you want.

You can also try different error mode settings under the video menu.

Use the full processing mode for audio and video to get the most options and set all options before opening the file to be changed.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!