Encoding problems

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

caminator

I video taped my Christmas. I then connected it via Firewire to my PC and captured the whole Christmas to my computer. It captured it as AVI (I created 4 parts - hence 4 AVI files named 1-4) and saved to My Documents.

I can play these files back in WMP and they look awesome. Very nice quality - or at least nice enough for me. These are HUGE files however and I would like to make them downloadable on my site for family members. I tried encoding one of the AVI files with TMPenc several times with many different setting changes, but the video isn't too good on any of them, no matter the setting. It looks OK until the camera or a person moves somewhat quickly. Then the video gets "lines" all through it until the motion has slowed WAY down or stopped. Anyone know what might be causing this? Obviously it is something in the encoding as the AVI looks "perfect".

I don't have a clue what the settings really mean in TMPenc, but I tried many different options with the Frame Rate, Aspect Ratio, and size.

Anyone know what I could do to fix the "line" problem I'm having in the encoded video files? Remember, this doesn't happen with my AVI files, ONLY with my MPG files that TMPenc creates.

Any help would be VERY appreciated.

I don't know if this matters or not, but I would also like to encode them as MPG2 for DVD burning, but at this point, I'm more interested in getting a nice looking MPG file for downloading off my site. Thanks!!

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Video files are huge, welcome to the real world. :) When you try to compress them to any degree, they normally lose resolution and picture detail. I suggest you consider using something like Movie Maker that comes with XP to generate DVD's and burn them at full quality.

caminator

OK, so you are saying if I just burn these AVI files as a DVD then things will be just fine. If I encode to make them smaller, then that is when they lose quality. I guess I'll just have to take the quality hit then if I am to enable people to download them off my site. Aint no way anyone is downloading 8gb of video. LOL.

Am I correct?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I believe so. When you think about it, if you were able to reduce the 8gig of data to... say 200mb, doesn't it seem reasonable that the quality would suffer a big hit? :)

The quality hit shouldn't be terrible--again, thats predicated upon what compression option you chose. By the way, a good mpeg compress shouldn't give you motion isues. What camera did you use to attain the footage and what settings did you use on the camera?

(I distribute avi compressed to mpeg files all the time and they can look good)

caminator

I used as Sony MiniDV TRV17. It is a few years old, but hasn't been used more than a handful of times. I don't know what settings on the camera. I don't know enough about it to change settings or anything. I just put it on "Camera" and shot away. I'm guessing it must have been on the default settings.

I'm not sure it is a camera setting issue though. Like I said, playback is "perfect"....until I encode it, then I am getting motion issues.

BTW, what are the best compression settings to use? I tried several like I said before, but I didn't really know what I was changing or why? What are the top 3 settings I should pay most attention to? Thanks!!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online