1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Encrypt files after install

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by JanisKoks, Jun 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JanisKoks

JanisKoks Thread Starter

Hello!
    I installed clean windows XP on my "C" disk and i moved some files to "D" disk before installation. And now i can't access them, because i didn't save profile.
    I tryd Advanced EFS Data Recovery (full version), but i can't decrypt files because they can't find profile.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

You're pretty much out of luck. The encryption is made to be unbreakable or it wouldn't be worth much. EFS is the only program I know that even attempts recovery, which is less than unlikely. Better kiss them good-bye.

3. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

I don't encrypt files becasue I know someday, I would do exactly as you have...though it sounds a good idea.
    You know where files are safest, though it may incur thought-provoking logic? Online, with Carbonite or some equally reputable company...you can still choose to look after your own encryption keys and you're not at the mercy of DOH!!

4. JanisKoks

JanisKoks Thread Starter

Actually i don't know how its start encrypt files, because i never did it manually. Some files time by time has encrypted.

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Files don't encrypt themselves. If you encrypted a folder and then put other files in that folder, they were probably encrypted.

The bottom line is that they cannot be unencrypted now if you cannot restore the system that encrypted them.

6. JanisKoks

JanisKoks Thread Starter

Then why folder that i made "New -> folder" encrypted it self? i never encrypted it manually going to properties - advanced - encrypt ...
    I remember that it's just started one day and when i made new folder ore something it was green.

How can it be turned on to encrypt files without going to properties? And why some folders is encrypted only? I think all files that was moved from desktop was encrypted.

P.s.- sorry for my English :)

7. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Someone encrypted them. It doesn't just "happen" as part of a Windows process. Is it still happening now that you've reinstalled Windows?

8. JanisKoks

JanisKoks Thread Starter

I was only one that use this pc. And now i think all is fine, maybe it was some virus.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1003021

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice