1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Encrypted Computer- Reset

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Rudfoot, Nov 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rudfoot

Rudfoot Thread Starter

Hello,

I am considering purchasing a Encrypted Desktop PC which used to have a USB KEY for Decryption.

The Seller has said that it does not startup without the USB Key.

I don't want to recover the data, I just want to be able to boot up the PC and OS on default settings.

I am going to replace the Harddrive if this makes a difference.

How would I go about this if it is possible; is there anything I need to know?

2. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

It depends....
    If there is a password set on the drive in the BIOS, you will have to know either that password or be able to clear it and, these days, that requires proof of ownership and help from Dell support in most cases.
    If it is just using something like TrueCrypt or software encryption, you should be able to boot to the installation DVD, delete all of the existing partitions, and then have it merrily install Windows for you.

3. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Usually the computer still posts but you cannot proceed to open windows
    I am of the opinion that you need to clarify the situation with the seller
    Why does he not have the usb flash drive with the decrypt

If it is standard encryption of ONLY the hard drive then if you replace the HDD there will be no encryption

If however the firmware is also subject to a password then of course it will not proceed and with some modern firmware that can be a real problem, as it cannot be cleared by resetting CMOS

I appreciate that you have NOT asked on this post, but if you do buy the computer and then require assistance with overcoming any security by way of passwords etc to access the computer this site will not assist you
    From our rules
    As I said I do realise you have NOT asked, I only include the information so that you may be aware, if you needed assistance.

4. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

1) I hope you are getting a 75% discount off of what they normally sell for (Check eBay, completed listings) to compensate you for the trouble this may be.
    2) Try making the sale conditional on the PC booting to a DVD which will reduce the possibility that you may have an impossible problem on your hands and get something written where he claims to be the legal owner,

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1199277

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice