1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Encrypted NAS

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Rearden, Jan 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rearden

Rearden Banned Thread Starter

I'm looking for an encrypted NAS. I looked at Pogo Plug, but I don't see anything that says it supports encryption.

Suggestions?

2. Rearden

Bump.
    No one else uses encrypted storage?

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Why does it need to be encrypted? What's your goal?

Seagate BlackArmour NAS devices support encryption.

4. Rearden

I have my primary computer encrypted. I want my backup encrypted as well. I currently use an external drive with TrueCrypt, but I need something with more storage connected to the network.

I keep personal information on my drive like bank statements, personal writings, code projects, things like that. I prefer to keep my data encrypted.

Thank you for the suggested of Seagate BlackArmour. I'll look into it.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Don't forget that once the device or computer is running that drive encryption no longer protects the data from access, you'd want to make sure there is folder or share encryption that requires a password to access.

6. Rearden

Have you used this NAS? I couldn't find any information other than it allows for an encrypted volume. Nothing on the type of encryption or how it's implemented.

I see you're an MVP. Are you familiar with Windows encryption? I use TrueCrypt. I don't know what you're referring to with password access. I'm looking for information on encrypted NAS. I have no need for password protection. This is a local home NAS.

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I haven't used any encrypted NAS, never had a need for one and have never came across anyone using one.

The reason you need a password or to secure the network share is that encryption is useless without it. If you are trying to protect your data all someone has to do is take your NAS, plug it in, boot it, and access the shared folders on the NAS to read everything you have on it. Encryption only works successfully with passwords and control who has access to it.

8. Rearden

I really don't know what you're referring to with passwords. If you haven't used any form of encryption, then you probably don't understand how it works.

When you create a TrueCrypt volume or encrypt a drive with it, you have to specify a password. This is how the software works. When you encrypt a drive or files with Windows Encryption, it uses the Windows password. I'm not aware of an encryption scheme or program that encrypts without a password. By definition, that wouldn't be encryption.

I appreciate your help in answering my initial question, but if you've never used the device or encryption, maybe someone else here will have hands-on suggestions.

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you want more security and storage [which is what is sounds like you are desiring] just purchase any NAS. Make a folder on the NAS and encrypt the folder with True Crypt. Store whatever you want in the encrypted folder. Done.

FWIW I do not see the necessity for doing this however the above will accomplish what I think you are after.

You do understand that true crypt does take extra cpu cycles AND the further slowing down of connecting via usb or via wired network connector is going to make this pretty slow.

10. Rearden

Other media devices (Apple TV, DLNA, etc.) can access a TrueCrypt volume? I didn't think so which is why I came here to ask for advice.

It seems like the moderators / MVP's are recommending against encryption. How do you protect data from theft?

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Know who has access to your computer
    Have a good router with a hardware firewall

It is not so much that I am against encryption however encryption adds an extra layer of complexity both to access of the info AND to making backups of the info.

I posted a method for you to accomplish what you want. I am just saying IF it were me, I would not worry about encrypting the info.

12. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I use TrueCrypt for sensitive information, but the majority of my data, especially anything I would stream to a media device, has no need to be encrypted and that extra level of encryption just unnecessarily complicates things.

13. Rearden

When I said "theft", I was referring to physical theft. Break-ins, etc. Not wireless networking hacking. I lock my car every night, and I have the only set of keys. I still have car insurance protecting against theft and loss.

You're right about not needing to encrypt streaming media. I would prefer to have one NAS for backups and streaming, but I may need to look at 2 separate boxes. I'm still not sure a TrueCrypt encrypted volume works with a NAS. Can the same volume be mounted on multiple computers with different operating systems? (Mac OSX, Linux, Windows)

For backup data, I'd like to use a NAS that supports encryption natively. Maybe there's something in the small businesses hardware arena that does this. Are there a lot of members here with IT or small business tech experience?

14. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Theft protection

Attached Files:

15. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    All businesses that I deal with use locked rooms, security systems, and safes to protect against theft. Data or backups of data that go off site are encrypted whenever possible.

I'd recommend a safe for a home user for preventing data loss due to theft or disaster. Encryption won't prevent someone from breaking into your house and taking the NAS with them.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085401

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice