1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

encrypting wireless that is connected to wired

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Paintedeyes, Mar 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Paintedeyes

Paintedeyes Thread Starter

So I have a wireless router that is connected to a wired router in the office. I was wondering How i can encrypt the wireless router which is a D-Link WBR 2310, I've tried logging onto the router but i canoot, but i can log onto the wired router which is a Netgear FR114P. Are there some sort of settings that I need to do to be able to log into the wireless router? Thanks.

2. dannyn

dannyn

hm.... i would have thought that the d link would be your wireless router and then you would you a switch not another router.... but thats beside the point.
    yes you have to be able to login to the d link to be able to set a password for that router... you will want to figure out how to set a password pretty quickly beacuse you are responsible for what happens on your internet connection.. which means if someone logs into your router and starts downloading illegal music you are responsible... but again thats beside the point..
    if some how the default router login go changed to something else on the back of the d link there will be a tiny reset switch.. it will be a tiny pin hole that you can press.... ***WARNING**** this will reset all the settings on the d link and they will not be recoverable.. you will start with the default settings for the d link..so if you choose to do this you will have to reconfigure the d link...

this belongs in the networking section.. by the way.

3. Paintedeyes

ok i got the whole login thing working, i set up the wep key and all that. computers can connect to the wireless but there is internet and comps are not connected to the server. our cable is dynamic but server wise, each computer is static. what should id o?

4. dannyn

dannyn

i wouldn't use WEP i would you WPA beacuse WEP isn't all that secure...
    wait so i am having quite some trouble deciphering that message.. do the computers can connect to wifi.. but they cant connect to the internet?

5. Paintedeyes

well i just used wep to quickly set something up. yes, the computesr can connect to the router but cannot connect to the internet. although i have a computer that is connected to the wireless router via ethernet and i'm using internet

6. dannyn

dannyn

so are you saying that the wired computer that is going through the wired router cannot connect to the internet?

7. Paintedeyes

i'm saying that the computers connected wireless can connected to teh router. but they cannot to the actual internet or to my server in the office. the wireless router has ports in the back, i have a computer connected to that. it can connected to the server and internet

8. dannyn

dannyn

ok... do you have DHC on in the router config page?
    this should really be in the network section now... but ill see if i can solve this quickly, beacuse i am not a network guy.... i have only done a few... so you will have to bear with me or repost this in the network section...

9. Paintedeyes

oh i didn't see the network section. if you mean DHC by DHCP, i have the disabled on the wireless and enabled on the wire router. i was told to do that

10. dannyn

dannyn

yes sorry i mean DHCP.... i knew i missed a letter. :)
    i am pretty sure that it needs to be the other way around..
    that is if the internet connection goes to the wifi router then the wired one...
    but you can try that...
    but i would really post this in the network section.
    the people in there are amazing... especially john will (he is the one that has always helped me... but i know there are some other very good ones too.. i.e terry net)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/694692

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice