encryption code needed for wireless

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

johneiuk

hi my mate just set up a laptop and got him set broadband from BT,
he can connect to the internet via hard wired but when he installed the belkin usb wireless stick and tired to connect to the internet via wireless it ask for a encryption code. where do he find this out and what has he done wrong,

help please people

1002richards

Retired Trusted Advisor
Hi,
BT Broadband have a good Customer Service centre. (Yes they work through a script but get there in the end!). If it's new BB contract and equipment I suggest he gets help there to avoid invalidating the Warranty.

Richard.

TerryNet

Terry
If your mate configured the wireless network he probably forgot the encryption key he used.

If the router came preconfigured the encryption key is probably on a sticker on the bottom or back of the router.

johneiuk

he found the wpa on the router, but now he cant connect network and it dont find no networks how can he sort this out

this is what he sent to me "just wont connet, and now got no networks 2 connet 2"

If he's had a BT HomeHub with the broadband he'll probably find the encryption key and SSID on a card inside the box. BT HomeHub wireless encryption is WEP by default.

Is the wireless stick within wireless range of the homehub/router?

johneiuk

hi i think he found the code on the bt homehub, the usb stick is in the same room as the hub so it is in range,i am unsure what is going on,

i know that there's a button on the homehub that says 'wireless association' or something, it's on the side. Has he tried pressing this and then trying to connect to the hub?

If that doesn't work try pressing the restart button on the homehub.

Else follow this link: www.bt.com/help/hub.

Edit: And also version 2.0 of the hub does use WPA not WEP, sorry I have 1.5

johneiuk

i forgot to mention he can use the hub with a wire to the laptop but not wireless

DoubleHelix

Banned
He needs to get the encryption key. If it's not on the router some place or the ISP doesn't know and no one can log into the router, the only solution is to do a hard reset and completely reconfigure it.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online