1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Encryptred files in XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mhosny, Oct 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mhosny

mhosny Thread Starter

I installed windows XP over windows XP, without reformattting the partition, I can see my old documents and settings folder there, but I can't access it because it was encrypted. The partition was NTFS before the reinstall, and is still NTFS now. PLEASE help as I have a lot of importat data I cant acess.

2. PlatinumDrag

PlatinumDrag

First off why?

I take it you already tried to restore before this so we'll skip that.

If you wish to keep the old files, go back to installing XP when you get to the area where it asks you to make or delete a partition delete the second one you made then cancel the install. There is no sure way to tell if this will work until you try depending on how bad you corrupted the system files. (In short there should be dupilcate copies of all files not just a few)

If you wish to erase it all for a clean start then delete both partitions and go on with the install.

3. mobo

mobo

In regards to the program that those documents were edited in. have you tried reinstalling that program.

4. downtime

downtime

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!