1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"end program sprtcmd.exe"/help uninstalling dell support center

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by barbthepoet, Oct 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. barbthepoet

barbthepoet Thread Starter

OK.....i am on an XP operating system on a dell. everytime one of the users logs off, we get the window that says "ending program sprtcmd.exe", and then we have to go and end program manually every time we log off. i read a similar post on here where someone was having that problem, and was told it was related to the dell support center, and they were advised to uninstall it. i tried to uninstall the dell support center, and this message pops up:

"Error 1306. Another application has exclusive access to the file c:/Documents and settings\Barb\Local Settings\Application Data\Support Soft\Dell Support Center\Barb\state\ logs\sprtcmd.log.
    Please shut down all other applications then click Retry"

It will not let me click retry, i have to close out the little window or hit cancel, then it goes through a little more of the "windows configuring", and then i get a little window for "add or remove programs" that says "fatal error during installation" and then that's that. it won't let me uninstall the program!
    i know this isn't a major problem or anything, but still having to manually click that window everytime i log off is quite aggrivating.
    any help would be greatly appreciated!!

2. ekim68

ekim68

First Name:
    Mike
  3. ekim68

ekim68

First Name:
    Mike
    Have you tried going into safe mode and uninstalling the cumbersome Dell software?

4. Mike82

Mike82

Hi!! Yup I am the other guy having problems with this darn Dell Support program, and for the first time I can actually help someone! Ok it did that to me too, in that it said another program had "exclusive rights" or something of that order. Here is how I got around it. Press Control, Alt, and Delete and call up the Task Manager. Select the "Processes" tab, and hunt down the freaking "sprtcmd.exe". You will find it! It is in that list. Select it with the mouse and choose END PROCESS button down at the bottom right of the screen. NOW that that stupid thing is ended, do your thing with the Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs, and it WILL (did for me) un-install and all of your problems will be gone. HOWEVER I tried re-installing it thinking that there had come a fluke of the original copy. Nope, the new downloaded Support Center Copy does the same damn thing! Why???? And why only started yesterday?? Bizzarre. So I un-installed it and am LEAVING it out. I wish I knew why I have to do this though!! My computer STILL has the original copy of the old school Support Center from 2006 when I bought the computer (came on it) and THAT does not cause issues, only when I download the new version (my computer had automatically downloaded the new version months ago with no problems till yesterday). I though about un-installing the OLD ORIGINAL copy, THEN installing the new version by itself, but thought, if the problem comes back I am screwed with no version at all! So I am just leaving with the old version till I figure this out!

- Mike T

5. barbthepoet

barbthepoet Thread Starter

is it safe to completely remove the dell support center if my computer will let me do so?

6. ekim68

ekim68

First Name:
    Mike
    If you haven't used it, why keep it? It won't affect your OS...

7. daisyplaid

daisyplaid

I've got the same problem - started last week when I downloaded an "update". I never, ever do that, but thought it would be smart... until this problem started. If I don't hit "end now", I get a problem when I turn the computer on, and it will lock up.

I am going to try it - thanks SO MUCH!

8. cybertech

cybertech Retired Moderator

9. daisyplaid

daisyplaid

I think my issue may be related to an update I did last week...

Last week I installed an update entitled KB951978. Since then, I'm unable to shut down my computer - I get an error message asking me to end "sprtcmd.exe". I hit "end now", and usually it shuts down OK.

Sometimes, it doesn't, and, when I turn on my computer, I get a Runtime error. The computer won't run any application and I have to shut it off and reboot... then it is fine.

I'm scared to uninstall the update - is it safe to do that? Everything was perfectly fine until then. Do you think the error message is related?

Thanks!

10. dhanie

dhanie

I removed the Dell Support Center and I no longer get the end task issue when I shut down. Thanks for the tip on ending the process first.

11. cybertech

You're welcome! Happy to hear you have resolved the problem!!

12. kruller

kruller

I had the very same problem on my 2 (un-networked) Dell computers. Mike82's solution worked beautifully. This was, frankly, beginning to drive me nuts.

Thanks Mike82

13. ekim68

ekim68

First Name:
    Mike
    Thanks for your response, it helps us all...And, welcome to TSG..:cool:

14. cybertech

I am closing this thread now as the original poster seems to have solved their problem.

I have moved new posters and their replies to new threads of their own.

Anyone else with a similar problem please start a new thread of your own.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!