1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

endless loop at boot-up

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by fenwayrocks, Dec 26, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fenwayrocks

fenwayrocks Thread Starter

Hi friends. I have been having shut-down and re-start problems for a while now, but this morning I really screwed things up I think. I had the trial ver. of Go Back which had run out. I got a box that it would un-install itself on the 28th if I didn't purchase. Well I got the latest version from Roxio on CD for x-mas. I couldn't find anything in the manual about needing to un-install trial version first or not. I decided to un-install using add-remove. Part way through the uninstall, a window came up saying I must re-boot. When I did, I got a HANG, (of course, what else is new). Had to manually shut down and re-start. When I did, it kept cycling through the boot log, recognizing memory, removable device's etc, then would start over again, never loading windows. I got safe mode to load, but no internet to check in with you guys and yell HELP. Then was able to get windows going by using command line prompt, I think it was. Loaded most things when asked, (had very little idea what I was doing), and windows loaded at the end of it all. Having an internet connection now, I decided to come here and ask for help. I haven't yet tried to re-boot. Sorry for the long story, but what should I do next? :confused:

2. Rikku

Rikku

As tedious as it sounds, the best solution is probably to do as you did to get windows to load - step through each command and answer yes to each one until you get to the one that causes a reboot.

Before you reboot however, you should run MSCONFIG (Start Menu - RUN - type MSCONFIG) and goto the startup tab. Just uncheck anything that looks suspicious. You can always re-check them later. Its possible that one of the items listed there is causing the reboot. Try unchecking as many as possible to see if Windows will load.

One of those should do the trick!

hope you get it working!!

3. JohnJ

JohnJ

I HAD THAT HAPPEN TO ME AT WORK ABOUT 2YRS AGO. IT TURNED OUT I HAD A VIRUS. TRY RUNNING YOUR ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE. GOOD LUCK!

4. fenwayrocks

Thanks for your replies. No virus, I have updated McAfee and also used houscall. msconfig is already kept to a bare minimum. I run add aware, just finding cookies which I dump. I'm afraid the un-install of goback may have taken something with it?
    I still can only get Windows to load going through line by line, and I'm not sure what I'm doing when I do that. I answer yes to most questions, (load, Y or N?). Any other ideas?

5. beach51

beach51

Hi Fenwayrocks,try and re-install Go-Back,then see if there is a uninstall option with the program.Uninstall it there.

6. hewee

hewee

Do as beach51 say but before you unstall the trial version of Go Back again go to MSCONFIG and uncheck anything that has to do with Go Back. May be good to do the same with anything to do with you Anti-Virus too and then reboot and unstall the trial version.

GoBack Support

http://www.roxio.com/en/support/goback/index.html

Don't know what version you have so. But you can get to all of them from this page.

Look at this page here.

http://ask.roxio.com/cgi-bin/roxio_...p_new_search=1&p_search_type=3&p_sort_by=dflt

Found this here.

http://ask.roxio.com/cgi-bin/roxio_...2F0X2x2bDE9MyZwX3NvcnRfYnk9ZGZsdCZwX3BhZ2U9MQ**&p_li=

How to correctly uninstall GoBack

Question

How do you correctly uninstall GoBack?

This information applies to the following product(s):

- GoBack 2.1x Standard and Professional
    - GoBack 2.2x Standard and Professional
    - GoBack 3.x Deluxe and Personal

This information applies to the following Operating System(s):

- Windows 95
    - Windows 98
    - Windows Me (GoBack 2.2x and 3.x versionsONLY)
    - Windows NT 4 (GoBack 3.x versions ONLY)
    - Windows 2000 (GoBack 3.x versions ONLY)
    - Windows XP (GoBack 3.1x versions ONLY)

Answer

In order to uninstall GoBack correctly, simply go into the Windows Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs. Locate
    GoBack in the list of programs, select it and press the Add/Remove button. Follow the on screen instructions.

IMPORTANT: DO NOT allow any utility to monitor the uninstall process of GoBack, if you do the uninstall
    process will not complete successfully.

Note: Uninstalling GoBack will clear all your GoBack history and you will lose the ability to revert your drive or recover
    files from a time in the past.

If GoBack does not appear in the Add/Remove Programs list, you can uninstall GoBack by following the below
    instructions.

To uninstall GoBack from your system when GoBack does not appear in the Add/Remove Programs list:

1. With the GoBack CD in the CD ROM drive, click Start>Run

2. Type the drive letter of your CD drive followed by a colon, then SETUP /U (example: D:\setup /u)

3. Click OK

4. Follow the prompts to uninstall GoBack from the system

5. When the system reboots into Windows, click Start>Run

6. Type the drive letter of your CD drive followed by a colon, then SETUP (example: D:\setup)

7. Click OK

8. You should receive a message stating GoBack has been uninstalled successfully

9. Once you receive this message GoBack is cleanly uninstalled from your system

IMPORTANT: The setup.exe file used in the above instructions MUST be for the version of GoBack that you
    are uninstalling.

7. fenwayrocks

Thanks for the replies. I am at a loss. I have now re-booted twice without the "loop" problem. I will tell you that the first time I was able to re-boot right into Windows, there was a line that flashed briefly, said something like: Please wait while windows configures your system, and this could take a few min. Next ...finished configuring system files, continuing to load windows...And then IT DID! So now I have this goback cd here I got for Christmas. I guess I'll give it a go at installing it. Thanks again for your help. Happy new Year!!!:)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62964

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice