1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Endless viruses

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by lukeprog, Jul 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lukeprog

lukeprog Thread Starter

Two weeks ago I noticed my WinXP machine was infected. Antivirus detected it but could not cure it. I think it was "Sasser". Critical OS files were infected and the advice on the web was that nothing could cure it. So I reformatted the HD and installed XP all over again. The first thing I did was get all the Windows updates and install Symantec AV and Ad-aware, but I'm infected again already!

I know because suddenly, two days ago, my Windows bootup started being extremely slow - about 5 minutes versus the 20 seconds it was before. Also, my computer was running slow (the mouse was "jumpy", when I played music it "stuttered", processes that usually took 30 seconds took 5 minutes, etc.), even though there was nothing new in the Task Manager processes list, and CPU and memory usage was very low. Perhaps the virus is hiding its activity from Task Manager? Anyway, performance gets even worse if I ever connect to the Internet, so I've stopped even trying; I can't get anywhere anyway. I've run Symantec and Ad-Aware and neither of them come up with anything.

Any ideas what virus/malware this might be? What can I do about it, besides abandon ****ing Windows forever and switch to Linux?

Many thanks.

2. Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

May I ask it was a complete re-format and not just a re-install?
    In my opinion Norton isn't worth a monkeys toss, try AVG and you have not mentioned a firewall, try Zone Alarm.
    Keep Ad Aware and also get Spybot (Search & Destroy).

3. Sparrow

Sparrow

As to antivirus,
    You may wish to try "Eset NOD32":

http://www.eset.com/

It has a 30 day free trial...I think you will find it useful. (Microsoft uses it on its testing software).

But, your problem may not be a virus, there are very poorly written software that can cause a lot of problems on a computer, such as reducing load time and running time.
    What software have you installed after re-installing the OS?

I agree with wolfeymole...Scrap Norton.

4. Mastertech

Mastertech

Did you follow any tweaking advice or run any tweaking programs?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/485078

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice