English XP

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Princess05

Hi guys/gals, my Dad recently tried re-installing windows xp, but for some reason the key on the CD didn't work for english, so he had to DL it in french. He thought once he got it installed he could just change the french to english, but I guess it's not in there or something?
anyway, I was wondering if anyone knew how to convert french xp into english xp?
Or if there are any sites I can tell him to go to???
thanks so much!
:D

DoubleHelix

Banned
He had to download what in French? And there's no key on the CD. The key comes on a license separate from the actual disk. If it didn't work, then you were using the wrong key with the wrong version of Windows XP.

Princess05

DoubleHelix said:
He had to download what in French? And there's no key on the CD. The key comes on a license separate from the actual disk. If it didn't work, then you were using the wrong key with the wrong version of Windows XP.
The disc came with a french version, along with the english version. He had the XP disc for awhile now and shared it with my uncle. When he tried to reinstall it, it would not accept the key.
The french version (on the same CD) was the one that would work. When he installed it, he thought once installed he could convert the french to english..but he found out he couldn't
So instead of an english version, its all in french. And I was wondering if there was a way to convert it to english?

Princess05

Basically, he has a french version of XP and was wondering if there was something he could do to convert it to english.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't XP include (native) support for ALL languages/locales? You should be able to switch language/locale using Regional and Language Options in the control panel.

Princess05

pr0t3st said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't XP include (native) support for ALL languages/locales? You should be able to switch language/locale using Regional and Language Options in the control panel.
He says he can change it, but everything like the menus stay in french.

Princess05

Everything he downloads is in english, but the start menu and stuff like that is in french still.

Well, if the menus are in french, safe to say it's strictly a french version of xp. And therefore cannot be fully converted to english (because it's hardcoded).

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online