Enough. Debian 2.6

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Whiteskin

Alright. I've had enough. I want to run my debian box right on the leading edge of linux. I'm already running 2.4.25, debian unstable, but i finally want to move to the 2.6 kernel. I have a week, where my laptop can be out of commision, and i'd like some help migrating to the 2.6 kernel.

Last time i did this, i had way too many problems. 2.6 seems to hate me.

Would it be easier to just reinstall the system *YET AGAIN* ?

/me pokes white.

I thought i had you convinced to try gentoo :(...must work harder to convert you!

Nah, going to 2.6 should be fairly straight forward, you should have to download the kernel and all its related stuff. and most likely reinstall anything such as sound etc. Since 2.6 i believe uses something slightly different in settings then 2.4. Course its a good idea to recomplile most of your most used applications so that they mesh with the 2.6 kernel.

So it might be better to start fresh ^.^;;

Whiteskin

*Sigh*

As much as i love debian, i really think i ought to switch distro's. I would consider gentoo, but i still need _some_ binaries. I cant quite yet take the week+ to compile some of the largest apps. Can you get apt on Gentoo?

I'm going to try 2.6 at least one more time. I'm going to start off basic, and move upwards as i get more comfortable with 2.6

Whiteskin

Well, here is an update. I've just compiled and booted 2.6.4. So far so good. Other than some royally frigged up mixer settings (Honestly, dont ask me how that happened) its been pretty decent, with nothing screaming "ERROR! Computer will self destruct in 5... 4.... 3... 2.... 1..."

The biggest problem as yet so far is the mouse. In X, woah... does it ever move fast, and track pad tapping no longer works. I am, however trying to remedy the above with the synaptics touch pad driver <http://w1.894.telia.com/~u89404340/touchpad/>

Hopefully it will work. My worst fear, module errors havent occured yet, so thats nice.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online