1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Enough Juice for 3rd Hard Drive?!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sticker, Sep 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sticker

sticker Thread Starter

Hey Guys,

I'm seriously running out of space on my PC, and want to invest in a 160gig hard drive to run with my existing two.

SPECS:

AMD XP3000+
    1 gig DDR ram
    DFI Infinity NFII Ultra
    2 HD: 80gig each - 1 partitioned into 2 - 50 & 30gig - total 3 Drives: C,D & E
    Chaintech GeForce 6800 GT 256
    Audigy 2 ZS Platnum Pro + mixer
    Creative Inspire P580 5.1 speakers
    XP Home - SP2
    PSU: Tagan 380watt

If I buy a 160 gig HD, Can I simply add it without any worry of power etc?
    I've a 30gig Creative Jukebox / Digital camera that I use every so often via USB. Not to mention a touch of overclocking with the GeForce 6800GT.

Would an external HD be an alternative idea?!

Thanks in Advance

Conor.

2. saikee

saikee

A generic motherboard will support 4 IDE devices.

Assuming you have a DVD/CDRW combo then you can add one more hard drive without any difficulty.

BTW I was in a computer fair (just a Sunday market selling computer components)yeaterday and the 200Gb ATA133 has dropped to £75 wherereas I paid £82 only a couple of weeks ago. If one aims at the maximum Gb/£ the 200Gb unit is definitely a good buy at 2.66Gb/£.

You can buy an external enclosure, say with both Firewire and USB2 connection at about £30 nowaday and stick any 3.5" hard disk inside. I would in your case get a 200Gb unit and an external enclosure. Replace it with the 80Gb so that the smaller hard disk works as an external drive for backing up important stuff.

3. sticker

sticker Thread Starter

If i go with the external option, and use one of my 80gigs for it, Do I need to format it?

4. saikee

saikee

No

The disk will appear exactly as before but only with the drive letter changed. You should have all the previous files. The only thing you need to do is change the jumper so that it is a master working as a single (Western Digital and may be a few other manufacturers have one setting for master and another for working as a single!).

There is nothing to stop you from formatting the disk for other purposes.

The attraction of doing an external drive via the USB is that (1) no driver is needed and (2) In USB2 you get a pretty fast transfer rate. Thus you can plug your external disk to any computer just like your 30gig Creative Jukebox / Digital camera.

For mobility the 2.5" external hard drive is better because about 30Gb and below the USB is adequate to power the hard drive without the need of an external power source. My 40Gb 2.5" hard drive needs 0.55 amp and is just outside the 0.5 amp limit of the USB port but it still works without a power source. Thus potentially you can just purchase the 2.5" hard drive and an external casing to ease the hard disk space problem. The 2.5" drives are more expensive than the 3.5" units but they are a lot smaller especially without the need of a power supply.

5. sticker

sticker Thread Starter

Thanks for getting back to me - I may go for the option of a fixed hard drive since I have the space internally... My Jukebox acts as a portable hard drive anyway.

If I buy, say a 160gig HD, do I leave the jumpers on the other two as they are, and just mark the new one as slave?

Thanks again - Hopefully this will put this thread to bed!!

Conor.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The only jumpers you need to change are the ones for the drives on the same IDE cable. Make sure the existing drive is set to Master(it might not be) and then you can set the new drive to Slave.

Then you will need to partition and format the drive before you can use it, which is done thru Disk Management in XP.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!