1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Enter = New Page?

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Nebastion, Jan 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nebastion

Nebastion Thread Starter

Hi everyone, im trying to do and assignment for college but every time I press enterI get a new page??
    This is really really frustrating...........:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

any help is much appreciated for i have to hand in the assignment tomorrow

Thanx in advance
    Neb

2. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

Hi there Neb,

New "page". Do you mean new "worksheet"?? Is it the one file? Is it every file? Do you have any macros? Is it when you move to another cell? Just the Enter key? What about confirming a cell's data (i.e. entering edit mode, then checking the checkbox directly to the left of the formula bar)? Can you use a file on another computer and duplicate the results? Can you use a file from another computer (in which you know this doesn't happen) and duplicate it on your machine? You may have a macro in your Personal workbook, I'm going to assume. We need more information. Start with answering the questions I've posed and let us know.

3. WendyM

WendyM Retired Trusted Advisor

And to back up a little from Zack, are you even using Excel? Or is this Word? Something else? In Word, Ctrl+Enter is the shortcut for a page break, which would give you a new page. Are you accidentally hitting the Ctrl key at the same time or maybe it's stuck? If you could start by telling us which program you're using and then answer either Zack's or my questions, whichever's appropriate, we can get a better idea of what's going on.

4. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

Always with that "common sense" stuff Wendy... ;) I feel really silly in assuming there.. :eek:

5. WendyM

I just figured your many talents included psychic abilities. ;) Good to see you Zack.

6. Nebastion

Nebastion Thread Starter

Durp.... Sorry for the lack of input sometimes i make the presumption that everyone knows what im doing....

Using Micro$oft word 2007,
    No macros, Not hitting Ctrl by mistake,, Ctrl Key isn't stuck,
    Opened new word doc, typed some stuff, pressed enter, worked like it should and presented me with a new line....
    Transferred all my text from the one i was previously working on, problem solved (or is it?)
    Any ideas why this happened?
    Thanks to the both of you...

7. WendyM

Well, as someone who worked help desk for many years, I'm going to go with my usual answer ... "glitch". :) If it happens again, turn on show characters (paragraph looking button) and see if there's actually a page break being inserted or if it's a section break that's kicking it to a new page or neither. It might not answer the question, but at least it will give us more information.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974330

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice