1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Entering College

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by Kramer55, Jul 17, 2006.

Advertisement
  1. Kramer55

Kramer55 Thread Starter

In the fall, I will be attending Michigan State University for Computer Engineering. I am a good student, and, for the most part, enjoy learning and studying. I am somewhat of a quiet kid, but I am starting to become quite social.

However, I am concerned with the amount of partying and drinking that is involved in campus life. I never drank in high school, and I plan not to drink in college either. However, as I have quite frequently heard, college seems to change people.

I was curious if anyone on these boards has been in a similar situation and how they have dealt with the issue. Or if anyone has any general advice for college, I would appreciate that as well.

Thank you.

2. JEBWrench

JEBWrench

You will be tempted. Decide, however, if you want to stick to those principals, or if you want to experiment.

There will be people there who don't want to drink and party. Meet people in your classes before and after classes - you'll find a lot of different people.

Another good way to not lose focus is to get involved - student government, paper, various clubs and groups.

Keep in mind that there will be a lot of people just like you there, and if you stick to being yourself, you'll get along just fine.

Don't hang around with people who want to change you, if you don't want to change.

If you want to go out, go out every now and again, just to relax. Find some social outings you enjoy. You'll meet a lot of people like that.

Maybe you like poetry slams, coffee houses, whatever. You'll find some like that on campus if you look. Once again, clubs and groups are a great source of like-minded people.

3. BanditFlyer

BanditFlyer

I saw all the drinking and partying that went on. College was a goal driven time for me. I didn't have time to drink or party. I was too busy working to pay for college, or studying to make sure that college paid off. Many of my fellow students seemed to think that straight D's would guarantee them some type of job security or something, after all, they would "have a degree" :rolleyes:

There are no guarantees in life except death. I had too little time for alcohol or parties. I chose instead to increase my odds of succeeding by doing as well as I could. I had no temptation to go to parties. My only temptation was to fall asleep behind the wheel on the way to work, which I've done several times during and after college. Fortunately, I'm still here. Turns out falling asleep behind the wheel is the second leading cause of vehicular death after drunk driving :eek:

Any time you feel tempted to party too much, look around you. There are plenty of examples of "educated derelicts" who got an education and it didn't help them out at all, financially or otherwise. It takes more than just an "education". Getting work experience in your field, getting to know the right people(party but don't drink), and making better grades than most will all help, but there are still no guarantees in life. I would expect that if you go into college during a good economy, like we have now, you will come out of college during a bad economy, so all your partying friends will be scrambling for jobs and you might wind up like them unless you remember why you're going to college in the first place. Fear was a good motivator for me, and competitiveness. :)

4. Kramer55

Kramer55 Thread Starter

Thanks guys.

I am planning on filling my time with ice hockey, studying, and work, but I just hope that I do not get tempted into doing things I know I shouldn't.

Is it that hard to stay away from alcohol on campus? I have heard stories from both sides, and I am not sure which is accurate.

5. JEBWrench

JEBWrench

Nobody's going to make you drink if you don't want to.

If someone offers, and you say "No thanks, I don't drink." Most people will listen to you.

You will be in situations near it - that will be almost unavoidable. But it's easy enough to just say no. (And laugh at the drunks. ;) )

6. katonca

katonca

You can't get much better advice than this. (y)

It's just as easy to stay away from parties as it is NOT to go to bars and drink..If you feel that you will be tempted by going into a particular situation, don't go.

After I quit drinking @ 10 years ago, some friends invited me to a bar to celebrate something. I went and had a few pops and left thinking why did I ever spend my valuable time in sitautions like that?

Good luck at MSU, enjoy college...it will be a blast.

We'll have to talk college football once you're there (GO BUCKEYES)

7. WendyM

WendyM Retired Trusted Advisor

If you don't want to drink, it's fairly easy not to. Of course there's peer pressure and all that, but you can usually avoid it just by saying you don't drink. The problem is that you may find that the things everyone else thinks are great fun (because they're drunk) don't seem so amusing to you. So you may not want to hang out at all the parties and such. It really just depends on your personality. Personally, I didn't party much in college at all. I put myself through school so I was working full time to pay my tuition, books, and rent. I had neither the time nor the money for much partying. I think the key is to associate yourself with people who like to do the same things you do. If you hang around people who drink and party all the time, it's going to be hard to avoid. College is a whole different world than high school - all the choices are yours. If you get drunk on a Tuesday night and miss three classes while you're sleeping off your hangover the next day, nobody is going to call to find out where you are, or check your attendance. They don't care. So you have to find your own motivation to succeed. Mine was that I couldn't afford to pay to retake a class the next semester if I failed! So maybe you should look into poverty - it was a great motivator for me! :D

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/484144

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice