1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Enternet Help

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by big_Mo, Jan 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. big_Mo

big_Mo Thread Starter

I have dial up and the highest i can connect is 45.2 and thats not all the time somtime i can only connect at 28.8 playing game online is no fun any more because it lagggggs alot
    and i always get kicked off

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Most often the factors relate to the building wiring or the other phones that are plugged in at the time. Secondary factor is the condition of the lines between you and the telephone exchange, particularly any noise on the line.

Try disconnecting everything but the modem. If that does not help, listen to the line on a telephone after dialling any single digit (when the line should be quiet, waiting for more dialling) and see if there is any noise at all. If there is, complain to your phone company.

Remember that depending on your phone contract, if the problem relates to your own installation when they investigate, you may get charged.

As it connects at times at 45kbs, its not all that probably that the driver needs upgrading (thats quite a good connect speed for dial-up by the way) but it may not hurt.

The connect speed reported is not always a good guide to the connection though, as the modem may "train down" to a lower speed for a more reliable data connection. The fact you get "kicked off" suggests that line noise could be an issue.

3. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

One of the reasons why I won't get DSL even though it is cheaper then cable where I am. My phone line works fine for voice calls but the dialup was terrible. They asked me several times if I wanted DSL and I said no. If the dialup is bad because my phone line is bad, it will affect my dsl speed as well.

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

While that is a possibility, its not a guarantee.

DSL uses the phone line more in the nature of a radio antenna than a copper conductor (in a broad way of explaining it). At a frequency above 1 MHz, the signal tends to travel around the cable more than inside it, the noise may have little effect on the spectrum DSL uses.

Then, on the other hand....

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/435916

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice