1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

enterprise hard drive as an extra external drive-any problem with this idea

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jj88, Jul 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jj88

jj88 Thread Starter

I have heard that enterprise hard drives are more reliable than the standard hard drives in retail or consumer computers. I want to get an external hard drive for extra storage and backup purposes. My desktop and notebooks are the typical computers that are sold to retail customers. Will there be any problems having it access and drive an enterprise hard drive in an external hard drive case? I am thinking to get a fairly large size around 1T so I figure it would have its own power supply and not be powered by the USB drive. Data access will probably be via USB and/or eSata.

2. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

I believe Enterprise drives are more performance based then reliability based. The mechanics are still the same. Usually an enterprise application requires a fast drive, something like a 16MB cache and 15k RPMs is the norm, even if the drive is only 150GB, put those in RAID and you have a very fast access source for a large network.

There of course are slower, and larger backup drives, and tape backups as well... but again I can't imagine that they are any more reliable, if the two drives are comarable in other regards. SATA is Still SATA, though Fibre and SAS might be more reliable than SATA or PATA.

3. jj88

jj88 Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. If the enterprise drive advantages are more in the area of performance than reliability then I think I will just stick with a regular consumer version and save some money. My main goal for the external hard drive was as a backup drive for storage so performance isn't that critical.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/847501

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice