1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Enterprise ISP Question

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Adventi, Jan 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Adventi

Adventi Thread Starter

Hi,

I have been tasked currently with providing a solution to customers with optimising their networks with NAT and alternative solutions E.G IPv6.

This is primarily aimed for residential flats that require a /26 to provide static IP's to every user as an example scenario.

As I am sure you are all aware, we are in a deficit with IPv4 addresses and it's only getting worse as time goes on.

The only real solution to providing other than NAT in the most basic form of E.G overload is not a suffice solution for most customers as they just refuse to do something like this due to the complications.

My only real suggestion towards this would be NAT64 where we provide the customers with IPv6 addresses and translate them into a single IPv4 address, therefore, providing them with a static IPv6 address. Would this work?

Do you guys have any other suggestions? I'm really stumped with any more ideas, I thought of dynamic DNS but just can't see how this would work as we don't provide DHCP IP's only static.

Please provide crazy, wonderful and theoretical ideas would be appreciated as I am open ears to all sort of suggestions as it may just be the best answer out there.

Thank you,

2. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

I'm unclear of your objectives. Are you proposing to be an Enterprise ISP? Do you have experience in this field? What block of IPs do you have that you own and are registered to you? What networking equipment do you have? Are you going to provide this service at a colo?

3. Adventi

Adventi Thread Starter

Hi,

Unfortunately, none of your questions is relevant to the question I proposed. Let me try to explain this better as I appear to have failed at my explanation, however, many thanks for the quick response!

Regarding your questions, I work for a major ISP. It's my profession to be a network architect. The equipment is irrelevant, we provide this at a wholesale level so we work with IT companies who provide leased lines of say 1Gbps over 1Gbps. (P.S we have our own data centres on top of COLO at major locations)

We are currently at a problem where we are running out of IP's. So we need to provide better support to our resellers in helping them set up their networks so that we can reduce the amount of IP's our customers use.

Funnily, the majority of our RIPE forms are now residential flats requesting for absurd amount of IPs as per the example provided.

I am tasked with providing a presentation to my director with a couple of ideas that we may implement towards our customers. But the only real solution I can provide (theoretically) is NAT64. It's probably the only real resolution to the countless problems that can occur with NATing multiple peoples internet connections. (Also the amount of excuses our customers will come out with) but maybe there is some amazing networking equipment that I am not aware of or some solution to provide.

Hope this makes sense.

4. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

My questions are very relevant. Not to harp on you but if you're a network architect for an ISP, you shouldn't be coming on to a forum asking for advice on how to do a core function of your job.

I asked you what the size of our allocated block of address are for a reason. If you're running short of available IPv4 addresses, you can't get around this limitation without employing some sort of NAT overload solution. That's why many ISPs are also offering IPv6 addresses. If you have a block of IPv4 but no IPv6 addresses, there's nothing you can do to get around having to do some sort of NAT. And this violates the customer's want for a static non-NAT'd address. If the customer requests a static IP, it doesn't matter what the customer does with it unless they're breaking the law or violating the terms of service for the circuit you're providing.

I'll be the first to admit, I have no experience in the carrier/ISP world. I don't try to pretend I know something I don't. But I do know enough to say that you should look into or should already be familiar with Carrier Grade NAT and Port Control Protocol.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1183762

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice