Entity Relationship Diagram

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

rutica

Hello,

I am trying to reverse engineer a Entity Relationship Diagram (ERD) for an existing Access 2000 database.

I don't have Visio.

Anyone know any good free software that can help me with this?

Thanks,

Excel has many different shapes on the Draw menu (look for Auto shapes button)that are used for Flow charts. It also has "Connectors" (lines & Arrows) that will join to the shapes at various points. Once connected they will move with the shape.

It's not as versatile as Visio, but will get the job done and still look good.

rutica

Thanks to both of you for writing.

Ziggy- i needed to reverse engineer an existing database, so Excel didn't have what i needed.

WhitPhil-I checked out the Microsoft link you gave me, but that seems to be if you already use Visio ("If you use the Microsoft Visio 2000 Enterprise Edition to create Object Role Modeling (ORM) conceptual information models, you may want to download Microsoft VisioModeler. Using the Microsoft VisioModeler program, you can display several ORM constructs in diagram form").

The client asked for ERD so I don't want to give them Object Role Modeling (and i'm not familiar with ORM).

I ended up using a program called ConceptDraw. it has a 30 day free trial. it wasn't the best though, i had to spend a lot of time tweaking the output. Oh well.

but thanks again for writing.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online