1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Entry Level Help Desk Interviews

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Wanabeatekee, Jun 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Wanabeatekee

Wanabeatekee Thread Starter

Does anyone know what questions are typically asked at help desk interviews and, if the position is entry level, how deep are they expecting answers to be? I have an interview in a couple days and I would like to know how to prepare for it.

Thanks for your help!

2. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

When I moved cross country, from California to SC, I tried to get a job with a local computer company. Without going into details, my background is enormously technical and broad in span. The first question I was asked was if I had ever done anything technical? I was so amazed to be asked that given my background on my resume, that I just turned around and walked out. A few weeks later I started my own company in the area.

3. pronute

pronute

click this link and see what you will be getting into they are actual help desk conversations link

4. Wanabeatekee

Boy, everyone sure has different experiences in this arena!

If I could reiterate though.... I'm looking to find out what questions they ask at entry level help desk position interviews. Are they looking for good customer support skills, or are they looking for strong technical skills - I need to know how far entry level people troubleshoot someone over the phone. From what I see and hear, asking them to open the case and see if the cables are all connected is NOT a good idea!

I worked at small branch location to a large university and provided deskside support to the users there for a little over two years. I worked under the direct supervision of the Technology Manager at the main campus. In a nutshell, I probably have more hands on than phone troubleshooting. I have A+ certification and MCP certification in NT4.

Anyone have any insight they would like to share?

5. Ash_11

Ash_11

expect to answer a question that involves customer service, like give an example of a situation in which you couldn't find a solution to a problem and how you handled it. How you dealt with the customer. Mostly they don't read your resume as gotrootdude suggested. They want to know that your technical, but also able to deal with heavy stress irate customers, and how friendly you are. Can you carry a conversation, if your not able to deal with a problem how do you handle it.

Most of the questions will ask you to provide a situation you encountered and how you dealt with it. They may also give you a problem and see how you deal with it. It will be a technical problem and they want you to provide a solution as if they were the customer, in terms that your basic end user (grandpa joe) can understand. Be confident in your technical skills but make sure you explain yourself so that someone without technical experience can understand you.

For example, if you need someone to start a program, don't just say ok, start outlook, walk them through how to start outlook so that you are making sure they are starting outlook and not outlook express.

6. Wanabeatekee

Geez, that's EXACTLY what I needed to hear. Thank you very much! I've been boning up on my A+ all week just to make sure I can answer those technical questions. But, knowing what you've said - how to communicate with the any type of end user and how to handle the situation if I can't resolve it immediately - will certainly help me to format my responses more in line with what they are looking for. THANKS VERY MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Ash_11

Ash_11

no problem, just remember, even if you haven't had help desk experience before, any previous job or volenteering position that dealt with customers, gave you customer support experience. You dealt with customers, so adjust those experiences to show that you have and can keep customer relations. Oh, and one other word of advice, never put down previous employers or co-workers. If you do, then the interviewer will think "if you can say something bad about them, what would you say about me?" Good luck.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/143382

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice