1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Epic Failure Saga - Boils down to HDD error

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by captainhairy, Jun 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. captainhairy

captainhairy Thread Starter

OK, ever since moving my PC back from university, the thing has been plagued with problems. First, my power supply began to fail. I replace the power supply. Within hours of getting the thing back up and running, the thing randomly decides to explode sideways practically, I managed to catch a glimpse of a BSOD before the thing powered off. After that, the POST process seemed to stop at various different places, never really the same one in a row.

Since the board was pretty old, I decided to upgrade a fair bit, and bought a new processor and RAM. Get it all plugged in and switch on. Windows boots reasonably normally, then starts displaying the dreaded 'Delayed Write Failed' errors until it locked up. After a couple of tries with 'Last Known Good Config' and safe mode, which don't really solve the problem, it began to not even make it into Windows before failing.

I have a lot of irreplaceable data on that drive, so I really don't want to replace it. Any help is much appreciated.

2. Ciberblade

Ciberblade Retired Moderator

this does sound like the drive itself is physically not working properly. Your best option at this point is to try placing that drive in another system and recover what data you can off of it.

You said that safe mode didn't really solve the problem. Where you able to get into Windows while in safe mode? If so, do that again and save your data. If not, have you seen any error messages?

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I agree; pull the drive and connect to another system. Copy whatever you want. Once that is done, you can run the drive maker's diagnostic on the drive to see if it is really failing. Does it give a SMART error on bootup?

FWIW data you do not backup with at least two copies, is data you do not care about. This is just the reason we stress backups SO much here.

4. captainhairy

Yay, a new problem.

Replaced the hard drive. Everything seemed to be going well. For about 5 hours. Then it threw a random unexpected exception error and reset itself. Now when it tries to power on, it gets to a certain point in the loading of Windows and resets itself again. No amount of safe mode or 'Last Known Good Conifg' changes this.

This is really starting to get frustrating. I've replaced almost every part of the machine now and it's still breaking.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Post your exact specs ie make model and ver# of motherboard, brand and wattage of power supply, etc and if possible links to your parts.

6. captainhairy

OK:
    Motherboard: ABit NF-M2S
    Power: Hiper Type-R 580W
    HDD: Seagate ST3320620AS 320GB

That's pretty much all I think could be wrong with the thing.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/589827

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice