1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Epson 640

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by theberlig, Dec 2, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. theberlig

theberlig Thread Starter

My Epson 640 was running low on ink so I changed the cartridge and now it won't print anything. Was printing black, but now nothing. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for your help

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Are you getting error messages or just blank pages?

3. theberlig

theberlig Thread Starter

I was getting it to print in black, but now nothing but blank pages.

4. ~Candy~

Have you tried aligning the cartridge with the 'tools' program for the printer? And as silly as it may sound, you've pulled the little plastic strip off the bottom of the cartridge?

5. theberlig

theberlig Thread Starter

I'm not sure I've done it correctly, but I did go to properties and clicked on the print alignment, but nothing printed out when I did that. Is that what I should have done or should I try something else.
    I didn't take the tape off of the bottom of the cartridge, just the one from the top.

6. ~Candy~

Ok, that's fine, I guess some or all Epson printers (I'm now looking at the 400 user's manual) have the tape on the top......

How much time delay was there between when it was printing and now? Could we have a clogged ink problem? Have you tried putting the old cartridge back in?

7. 4 Computer Fix

4 Computer Fix

I am looking at a picture of the Epson 640 cartridges here:

http://www.printerfillingstation.com/Instructions/ep640.htm

I don't know about the tape on the top - looks like it just has a label. Anyways I used to have a Canon BJC 5100 that used to stop printing periodically - I used to take the cartridges and soak them in about 1/4 inch of hot water to loosen up the ink in the print head. Worked for me may work for you too.

8. theberlig

theberlig Thread Starter

I quess there was a little of a time delay from when it was printing and now. I ran out of the color ink and the darn printer won't work if either of the cartridges are empty. Can't put the old cartridge back - threw them out. There might be a clogged ink problem (can you help me with that?) Oh, when I replaced the cartridge, I had to buy a generic one, because the were sold out of mine. Not sure if that might be the problem or not.

This is a brand new cartridge (color) should I take them both out and soak them in the hot water? I'll try it. By the way, I'm planning on getting a new printer soon, I would like to be able to print half decent pictures that I take with my digital camera - what should I be looking for?
    Thanks again for your help. I appreciate it very much.

9. 4 Computer Fix

4 Computer Fix

Let them soak in hot water for bout 1 - 2 minutes.

As far as decent printers go I just bought a Canon S600 (Prints up to 15 ppm in black, 10 in color; high-resolution printing up to 2400 x 1200 dpi in color; 4 individual ink tanks). It does an awesome job with pictures and only ran me $150.

Hope this helps. :)

10. 4 Computer Fix

4 Computer Fix

You bought a new color cartridge? You have the color and black in the printer as of now correct? The black empty?

Just a few questions for ya.

:)

11. theberlig

theberlig Thread Starter

Thanks for your help and advice. I will give it a try. Let you know if it works. Probably won't do it til tomorrow. Thanks for the recommendation on the printer too.

12. theberlig

theberlig Thread Starter

Yeah, I bought a new color cartridge and replaced it tonight. The black is not empty - half full. Both are in the printer now.

13. 4 Computer Fix

4 Computer Fix

Hope it works for you and good luck. Take care and have a good one!!

:)

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60470

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice