1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Epson Artisan 710 Printer - Damp Paper or Dry Paper Under CISS Conditions?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Stisfa, Jan 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Stisfa

Stisfa Thread Starter

Reading up on it, I found that this printer has an auto-duplex feature, which lead me to the question:

How damp is the paper going to be after printing duplex, especially if I print with 50% - 100% coverage?

My initial conjecture is that it wouldn't be wet or curled, as it would be counterproductive to Epson's image to provide a printer with an auto-duplex feature that would drench the paper.

After doing a little bit of research, it seems that it's largely going to depend on the ink itself. According to macworld.com, "pigment inks...are made up of tiny, encapsulated particles that sit on top of the paper, instead of being absorbed into a paper’s fibers, which is what happens with dyes." The article further goes on to state that pigment inks are primarily for the purpose of longevity. Well, I'm not particularly concerned about it's longevity but I am interested in whether it's ability to dry faster than dye ink is justifiable for an investment in pigment inks?

A little more research revealed that paper quality is also a major factor (duh). Only issue is, I've already purchased a bunch of cheap 20 lb, 96 bright white paper and don't want to purchase paper separately for this additional printer (when I mean "bunch", I mean that I possess cases of paper in the double digits). Another reason I'm hesitant to make any move towards better paper is that it seems that the higher quality paper is designed to control the ink dots from feathering; yes, I realize this would, by extension, help with the overall drying but it's main purpose is for better image quality, which I really don't care for.

Now here's the caveat that's really got me pinched: I'm going to purchase this printer as a CISS-Bundle (Continuous Ink Supply System). It's on printonadime.com, here's the URL: http://www.printonadime.com/inventory/item.php?item_id=236.

I've checked out the pricing for the dye based inks and did a cost per page analysis, integrating the price of the printer, the cost of a second printer (just in case the first one is beyond my ability to repair it) and a "margin of error" cost; I still came up better on cost per page VS OEM cartridges. The thing is, I'm not entirely confident that their "scientifically formulated" dye-based inks will emulate Epson's ink dry time, at least, not entirely. I haven't bothered to put the time into getting the cost per page for using the pigment-based inks but I don't imagine those coming up to par on OEM inks, albeit the performance advantage over its dye-based counterparts would not be in question.

In light of all that was considered, I've come to these questions (and the compromises underlying these questions):

1) Has anybody purchased this CISS-bundle from printonadime.com?
    2) If so, how is the print quality in:
    a. Dry time?
    b. Image quality?
    c. Paper manipulation (curling, bending, warping due to wet ink)?
    d. All of the above, plus duplex printing?

If nobody here has touched this CISS, does anybody have experience with a comparable CISS (please answer, even if it's a different Epson printer, as all Epson printers use piezoelectric technology)?

If we are in lack of individuals possessing experience with a comparable system, then that leads me to this compromise:
    For those individuals possessing an Epson Artisan 710, what is the quality of a duplex page with 10% - 30% coverage?

Thanks in advance

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/898199