1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Epson dx5050 recognised as "Unknown Device"

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by eu13, May 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. eu13

eu13 Thread Starter

I have a BIIIIIIG problem with my Epson DX5050. The message "Unknown Device" is received when I plug the device in the laptop through the USB port. I tried every single method described on this forum (and other). I don't know what else to do.

The device appears as an Unknown Device in the Device manager no matter what I do (printer on, printer off cable plugged, unplugged).

I really don't know what to do. PLS help.

I have a Compaq Presario V2000 with an AMD processor and 2 USB ports both of witch are working with other devices.

I didn't find the latest drivers for the motherboard (on the official web site) as was suggested by an user (All may USB items under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers" are standard after i Installed everything on the DVD that came with the Laptop).

Do you guys think it could be the cable? (the cable is brand new)

I need your advice badly or this thing is out the window :mad:

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

You will need to give some history of the problem before we can help (as the forum rules do not permit is to use mind reading techniques...)

Did it ever work?

What Windows version?

Have you tried it on another PC?

The printer may have failed? Have you tried a self-test on the printer? (the means to do a self test will be in the manual)

3. eu13

eu13 Thread Starter

Well of course I forgot some info :)

The printer is brand new it was never used on this laptop or other computers.

I'm running Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 licensed (came with the laptop).

As for the self test, I haven't performed it yet because I didn't know there is such a test available, I'll try it as soon as I get home.

For any other info you need please don't hesitate to ask (I will really throw it out the window)

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Can we assume you loaded the software that came with the printer?

And that you connected the printer as required and when required in that installation process (it can matter with some printers, you have to follow the manual exactly as to sequence when installing)

5. eu13

eu13 Thread Starter

Exactly!!

The instructions even mention my problem and say that if this problem occurs (device is recognized as an Unknown Device), I should run "EPUSB.exe" from the CD and try to reinstall the software. I did this but no effect.

6. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

You state that "all my USB items are Standard", yet that laptop has USB 2.0, which means one of the USB listings under device manager should therefore show "enhanced".

That it does not suggests that your laptop USB driver software needs loading, specifically the USB I/O drivers in the motherboard chipset. If the laptop is using Windows default drivers, the problem you have *might* stem from there.

PS I do not provide help via private messaging, only via the forum.

7. eu13

eu13 Thread Starter

OK guys I have solved the problem.

I discovered that if I disable the PCI to USB controller (it was on my machine, a Presario V2000 laptop, not sure if it is available on other machines) the printer will be recognized properly (even the drivers will be found and installed for the printer and scanner on Win XP).

8. rogierboon

rogierboon

Hi, I'm experiencing the same problem with my Epson DX5050, but haven't solved it yet. Could you explain to me what and how exactly you disabled PCI to solve this problem? I'm not very advanced in working in the settings of my computer so, if you could help me out here, Epson is not... :mad:
    Thx,
    Rogier
    Netherlands

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/576985

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice