1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Epson EP-807AW Print Bands

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rumi, Jun 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rumi

rumi Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M 540 @ 2.53GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 37 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 3893 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, 1722 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 117 GB (13 GB Free); E: 1 GB (1 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard, 172A
    Antivirus: Malwarebytes, Enabled and Updated

Hi and thanks,

My Epson printer prints in horizontal bands (portrait) with normal print alternating with washed out printing, when in "standard" quality mode.
    If I set the print quality to "quality" it works fine but prints slow and uses ink faster.

Needless to say I am not using original Epson ink cartridges, but they worked fine before.

Is there some setting I have missed or tripped unitentionally?

Also I have tried to set "quality" as my default print setting, but "WORD" software resists this with a passion, and even if it is set to Quality in "WORD" when I print a pdf file I have to reset the print quality again.

Anyone have any ideas on how I can make it stay in "Quality" quality mode ?

Also said printer was bought in Japan and manuals/ on-line guides quickly deteriorate into a maze of Japanese wiggly shaped things that they call calligraphy, but looks more like encryption than anything else to me.

My personal belief is that when I unistalled all the printer software and reinstalled it again, then the printer firmware updated itself and the new version is more malicious in its fight against non-proprietory ink cartridges. Whereas before it used to just give you a sarcastic "do you really want to continue with these crappy cartridges" message, I no longer get these messages just a refusal to print properly unless quality printing is selected. Maybe I'm just paranoid ??

thanks anyway for any help or insights.

2. rumi

rumi Thread Starter

bump ~ is this not solvable ?

3. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Try setting the Epson to print in a Slow Mode.
    On another Epson model, it seemed the non OEM cartridges couldn't keep up
    And "Slow" fixed it

4. rumi

rumi Thread Starter

Hi thanks for replying.

I cannot find anyway of putting the printer into slow mode, googling returns a mass of advice on how to fix a slow printer, but none on how to induce it ??

I found a "quiet mode" setting but that didnt make any difference to the print quality.

The cheapo cartidges were perfectly capable of keeping up a few weeks ago, so inuitively I am not very hopeful, but willing to give it a try if you can let me know how to set it to "slowmo"

Thanks again

5. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

My Epson is a XP-640 using 410XL cartridges.
    From what I can find, this XP-640 looks very similar to your 807aw

So far, my newer printer is working fine with refills in high speed.
    See the High Speed setting (check mark) in the lower right corner.

I've been told to not let the printer update because it might shut down the refills.
    A couple months ago ... It tried to update ....
    I don't know if I stopped it in time .. or if it undated and is still working.

My primary use is for printing CD/DVDs ....
    The last time I used it for a picture, It looked really good.

If you clean the print head much, fighting this problem ...
    you will fill up the "Ink Trash Can" and the printer will permanently shut down.
    This is the reason I have a new one ... (newer model Epson)
    It doesn't pay to get too far ahead with backup cartridges when the printer shuts down
    and the newer models change the cartridge.

My first set of refills lasted a really long time.
    The 2nd set (different refiller) are quickly approaching empty.
    I haven't looked lately but the suppliers keep changing ??????

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
  6. rumi

rumi Thread Starter

yes I see the high speed mark, but my preferences doesn't have this option.

upload_2018-7-6_2-46-53.png

If I try to run any utilities (head alignment, head cleaning, nozzle check etc) it will say that an ink cartidge needs replacing even though I know it doesn't. It wont allow any further operation until the cartridge is replaced. If I replace the cartridge and run head cleaning again, it will say that another cartridge needs replacing, and it is not possible to stop this loop no matter how many cartridges you replace.

This seems to be the deliberate policy of the epson firmware, -deliberately print poorly, which forces a head cleaning, which leads to locking the printer until an ink cartridge is changed. Maybe I'm paranoid ??

For a long time I had automatic updates disabled, but I was having trouble getting the printer to connect to my wi-fi, so I uninstalled everything, and when I reinstalled it, I think it had updated itself and it has never worked properly since. I have Epson version 7.20.00

thanks Rumi

7. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

What Cartridges and Supplier you using ?

8. rumi

rumi Thread Starter

Hi I'm not sure what you are asking when you say "what cartridges are you using" of course they are the compatible ones for the printer and there are 5 colours and one black one. The maker is called "ink no chips" they are based in Japan, all the writing on them is in Japanese.

9. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Sounds like it might be time to replace the printer.
    You might want to think about an Epson EcoTank

10. rumi

rumi Thread Starter

ummmmmm.... I wonder if I have made myself clear in the op. In the op I said that in the "quality" mode it prints perfectly well but is slow and uses more ink. However these are relatively small irritations and the use of "quality" mode is a resonable workaround.

My aim here is to try to understand what is causing this banding effect in "standard" mode and to be able to control it. Also I want to understand how to set "quality" mode as the default setting and not keep having it reset itself to "standard" mode.

The printer is only a couple of years old and in brand new condition. Replacing it is unnecessary and completely missing the point. Even if I did replace it I would still be asking the same questions so as to try to understand what is causing the problems.

Thank you anyway,

Rumi

11. rumi

rumi Thread Starter

Anyone else have any ideas about this ?Particularly interested if anyone can confirm or disprove that this problem is caused by hostile Epson software. ?? Thanks again.

12. rumi

rumi Thread Starter

really ? no-one knows this pronblem ? Could anyone at least comment on why it is so difficult ?

13. rumi

rumi Thread Starter

still no takers ??

14. rumi

rumi Thread Starter

Hi, just in case anyone has the same problem.

After using the inks on "quality" print for a while, I eventually had a cartridge that had really run out and genuinely needed replacing. Once it was replaced (with a non Epson cartridge, but a different one to the one we were using before) the banding has disappeared and the printer is once again working fine. It seems these non standard ink cartridges can just sometimes cause the printer to have a hissy fit ??

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1212217

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice