1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Epson Workforce 615 Not Recognizing Network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by vja4Him, Jul 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vja4Him

vja4Him Thread Starter

My Epson Workforce 615 printer is not recognizing our network. Any ideas how to fix this problem?

I am using a D-Links 655 router for our networking.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Could you be more specific on the meaning of "not recognizing our network"?

3. vja4Him

vja4Him Thread Starter

I watched this video on setting up the Epson Workforce 610 printer:

Printer Setup

and followed the instructions exactly, but the printer did not recognize our network. So, I checked out the menus and figured out how to enter the name of our network manually, then put in the correct password.

It seems that the printer is not recognizing (seeing) our network. I printed out a status sheet, and the SSID shows the name of our network, but the printer is not connecting to our network.

Do I need to change a setting in the Router? What exactly should I do, to get our printer working .... ????

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Is your router's SSID broadcast enabled? If not, the printer will not detect it.

Disable encryption and MAC address filtering until you get a successful connection.

What wireless mode (n, b/g, b/g/n, etc.) are you using? If 'N' are you using 20 or 40 MHz (single or double channel)?

What wireless capability ('G', 'N') does the printer have?

5. vja4Him

vja4Him Thread Starter

The only way that I can print wirelessly is to disable our secure network. And now our Internet connection is much slower, which seems to indicate that somebody is hijacking our network.

This is really a problem, since there are four of us who need to print. If all of us hard-wire to the printer, that will mean spending a lot of money on cables, and some kind of a switch to allow four computers to connect to the printer.

6. vja4Him

vja4Him Thread Starter

I don't know which mode we are using .... I've tried setting the router for 20MHz, and then changed it to 20/40MHz). That didn't seem to make any difference.

I don't know if the printer is G or N .... Will see if I can find the specs somewhere .....

For now, I have disabled our secure network, so I can print .... I've already spent many hours playing around with the router control panel. It is very confusing and frustrating for me ....

Oh yes, I was able to get the printer to see our network. I have no idea at all what I did to get that problem taken care of .... I can also enter the password, but still cannot print wirelessly when our network is secured.

My oldest son was, however, able to print wirelessly, and without entering the password! How could that happen ..... ????

7. vja4Him

vja4Him Thread Starter

Where do I find encryption and MAC address settings ... ???

8. vja4Him

vja4Him Thread Starter

I have the router (802.11 Mode) set for "Mixed 802.11n, 802.11g and 802.11b"

9. vja4Him

vja4Him Thread Starter

Ok, I found MAC filtering. It was already off.

I'm still looking for the encryption settings .....

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    May say "security" instead of "encryption." You've already found this; we are just using different terms.

It seems that everything I raised as questions and possible issues are OK except for encryption/security, since the printer connects to your unsecured wireless.

Try WPA-PSK TKIP encryption/security. In the meantime I'll see if I can dig up some info on what the printer supports.

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I didn't find what I was looking for, but it should support at least the WPA-PSK TKIP. I saw in the specs that it also has an ethernet connection. It's too far from the router to reasonably use that? It's certainly easier to get working and far more reliable.

12. vja4Him

vja4Him Thread Starter

Thanks for your support. I've already tried setting up the printer using WPA-PSK TKIP. I tried several other settings as well. I may get another Ethernet cable for printing .... I will need at least 50 feet, maybe even 75 feet. I'll probably just get a 100 foot cable.

I may just save the files I want to print to memory cards for now. But that won't solve the problem when I need to print pages from the Internet, which I do often for research.

Strange that the printer works just fine wirelessly, as long as our network is not secure.

I'm thinking that perhaps there is something that is not compatible between the Epson Workforce 615 printer and the D-Links 655 router ....

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Yes, and you have narrowed it down to something about the encryption (or the slight chance that you are mis-typing the passphrase).

Try using a passphrase w/o special characters--for example, 6y7u8i9o

If there is any wireless interference it is possible that it interferes enough with encryption to prevent connection, but doesn't impact an unsecured connection as severely. If you could temporarily move the printer close to the router (or even the router close to the printer) to test that would help to eliminate wireless interference as a culprit.

14. vja4Him

vja4Him Thread Starter

I'm certain that I have typed the passphrase correctly. I am always very careful when typing passwords.

Unfortunately, it would be very difficult for us to move the router, or the modem, or the phone box! Our home is very old, with only limited plugs. Moving the modem, router and phone box would be a huge job. We would have to re-route Ethernet cables for four computers, which would be a problem, and then we would probably have to move our microwave oven, phone, tv, clock-radio, stereo system, and more.

I have the router, modem, and phone box in the best place possible. The phone box is four feet from the router and modem. The router and modem are about three feet apart.

Tech support was telling me that our surge protector might be causing the problem .... Is that possible? There aren't any plugs close enough, so I have to use a surge protector to connect the router, modem and phone box, and then connect the surge protector into the UPS.

I'm tempted to give Charter a try and see if their service might be better ......

15. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I suggested to temporarily move the router close to the printer as a test. It may be inconvenient to disconnect the cables connected to it and then reconnect them after you test and return the router to its original place but I do not buy the idea that it's a big deal to move it for a test. If there is no other outlet near the printer you can find electrical extension cords at any hardware or department store. No home, especially an old one with a paucity of outlets should be w/o one (or a dozen).

EDIT: I also don't buy the idea that moving the printer temporarily to test is that big a deal. Inconvenient, yes. But it can't be all that heavy.

Surge protectors can and do go bad over time. I doubt it is the problem, but it can't be ruled out. You could buy a new one, or even an inexpensive power strip (for a test, not permanently).

I assume that has to do with your other thread--the one about insufficient bandwidth for the entire household at once.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/937907

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice