1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Equal contrast on panorama image

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by gsol, Feb 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gsol

gsol Thread Starter

When I was taking the photos for a panoramic image, the sky was changing thus making contrast different in all the photos
    When the photos are stitched together, the differences are easy to notice

I am new to the tools in Paint Shop Pro - is there a way of equalizing the contrast across the entire image?
    Any other advice?

Tried to attach example image but it will probably look too small(I guess that's another question?)
    EDIT-yes it is a bit small but I hope you can see my point

Attached Files:

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    its very difficult if light keeps changing however, with each separate image you may be able to adjust the brightness / levels.

Post the worst two images separately and then perhaps we can have a go

3. gsol

gsol Thread Starter

OK, I have resized as for email(800x600) to post here - is that the best way?
    Thanks

Attached Files:

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    Ok - i took the pictures into photoshop and adjusted P2060003.jpg using levels until I thought the sky and sand look OK
    I moved the white point down and then slightly adjusted the gray point on levels (RHS slider and Middle slider)

what do you think?

Attached Files:

5. gsol

gsol Thread Starter

Thanks, it stitches together as below, which is much better
    Two problems though - I don't know what levels are and I don't have Photoshop

Can you give me a quick overview of what levels are and how to adjust them, if you know step-by-step in Paint Shop Pro that would be great

Attached Files:

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    OK I dont know PSP however, I have PSP7 and just had a look around
    open both the documents
    click on the darker one so thats the one you are working on
    goto
    layers>
    new adjustment layer>
    levels>

you will now get a dialog box up
    click on the down arrow next to the eye at the bottom of the box - that enables you to see what happens on the image
    then move the Top slide rhs towards the left - you will notice the image lighten
    play with that slider to match the image

Attached Files:

7. gsol

gsol Thread Starter

Yeah, I have PSP7 so thanks for instructions
    Could take a while with a 360 panorama though, but then not all the panoramas I have taken had this problem

I just thought there would be an a way of doing it quickly, I had a go at Panorama Factory which I didn't like but one of the processes it did before stitching was to adjust the brightness so that it matched across all images - I wonder how it did this? maybe the same way?

ps. impressed with the photos on dp forums

8. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    thanks
    they could do with some more panaroma's there - will we see yours???

I have not tried this
    but have been advised to set the camera on manual exposure and use that setting for all the pictures

9. buck52

buck52 Banned

I don't do may panos but...that is what I do and it helps greatly provided your camera has manual or lockable exposure.

10. gsol

gsol Thread Starter

etaf - yeah it would be good to post some photos for some feedback on how to improve images, panoramas need a bit more practice though(with help from your advice)

buck - I have Olympus C220, I don't think it has manual exposure,any other settings will help?(I'll read the manual later), as you can probably tell I'm not a photo expert, just interested in composing some good images

11. slipe

slipe

If you can’t take the pictures with the same exposure in all of them you do best using a sophisticated stitching program that will even out the exposures. Panorama Factory does a nice job and they have a free trial. http://www.panoramafactory.com/

Pentax has a screwy panorama function that doesn’t fix the exposures like other cameras and the S4 doesn’t have manual exposure controls. So with that camera I have to use a program like Panorama Factory to stitch or I get lines. It requires more overlap than stitching programs that don’t even the exposures.

Someone on another board pointed out that the continuous shooting mode where you just hold the shutter release down does keep the exposure and focus of the first shot. It is slow enough on the S4 that I can take a series of panoramas that way. You have to move fast though.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/328259

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice