1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Equipment for small public video from recorded memry sticks

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Allan Murray, Jan 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Allan Murray

Allan Murray Thread Starter

What equipment would I require to show videos recorded on memory sticks on a monitor?
    Allan.

2. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

3. kenbok51

kenbok51

First off do you mean videos copied to rather than recorded to? And when you say memory sticks are you talking about a memory card type (SDHC Card, Memory Stick, Micro SD card etc.) or a USB flash drive?

Also when choosing a device you need to consider what type of connections the monitor your going to be using has. If you go with the above mentioned media player it would probably use USB for the video input and HDMI out to the monitor. If you go that route but your videos are on a memory stick or SD card you would also need a portable memory card reader that would accept your type of card and then plug into the USB port of the media player device.

When asking for advice like this, the more info you provide the better and more appropriate answer your likely to get.

4. Allan Murray

Thank you for this. It is USB flash memory sticks that I had in mind. But from what you say, it seems that plugging the stick directly into the monitor or TV set will not work. Is that correct? Allan

5. kenbok51

kenbok51

It depends on the TV or Monitor. Newer Smart TV's do have the capability to read USB flash drives video files as long as they're in a format the TV recognizes (using the source button to scan the different inputs). But if your thinking of using a variety of different TV's or Monitors you may find where your going with the drive, and not your own, then a media device would be your best bet.

One that has several types of connections to choose from would help. HDMI, Composite (older TV's with yellow video and red and white audio), Component (three colored jacks for video and red and white audio) and maybe even Display Port. I doubt you can find a unit with all of them but the more the merrier if your unsure what you will find where your going.

6. Allan Murray

Thank you so much for all this useful information. The set-up required is becoming clearer to me. We need a smart TV, and I see there are plenty on the net. When the system is not in use, it will be stored in a cupboard where space is restricted. It will have to be a 24 inch Smart TV. Again there are plenty of these on the net. As to format, I know nothing. The person who produces the flash drive does so for several similar small groups, so the format must be a common one. He is presently on holiday so I cannot find out the format information. Obviously I must get that clear before we can purchase the TV. As far as my understanding of the system required is concerned, am I thinking along the right lines? In case you are concerned that we are guilty of piracy, the recordings are of sermons, preached in another church group.
    Allan.

7. kenbok51

kenbok51

So! Your pirating Church Sermons eh? I take it you don't have one of the flash drives yet. If you did you could look at it on your PC and see what the extension of the videos are. Most likely MP4 but there are others like AVI, M4V (a form of MP4), MKV and MOV to name some of the most common.

8. Allan Murray

Thanks again. No, I do not have any of the flash drives yet. The man who produces them is on holiday at present, but he knows that I am looking for a flash drive to try out. The format is likely to be the commonest, but we will have to wait.
    I think that you would call me a very open and public, benevolent pirate! There are in fact a number of them around. Allan

9. kenbok51

kenbok51

I'll pray for you and everything will be OK!

I have a WDTV Live media player it cost around $100 and is very handy. It has three types of outputs and two USB input slots that accept flash drives and large external USB drives. The out puts are HDMI Composite and Component. If I had to buy again I don't think I would go the WD route but I haven't really researched or looked at review to decide where I would go. Western Digital first firmware update for my specific model was a disaster and although they gave an option to return to the original firmware it has never been the same.

New Egg should have a listing of major brands. Search "Media Players" and read reviews. Something to watch for is USB 3.x If the media player has only USB 3.x inputs, the flash drive might need to be 3.x as well (no experience there). Mine is 2.0 and is quite fast enough to stream anything I throw at it.

10. Allan Murray

Thank you for this. I will need to slow down. I am getting out of my depth. What do you mean when you say, "If I had to buy again I don't think I would go the WD route".
    Are you saying that the reader is likely to be more reliable than plugging straight into the Smart TV?

11. Allan Murray

I should have added that I would greatly value your prayers!!
    Allan.

12. kenbok51

kenbok51

I have a dumb TV and I like it that way. I have heard rumors that Government agencies have ways to monitor you from smart TV's even when they're off.

I regret buying the WD because I had issues with them as well as the units my brother own. And their firmware fiasco kind of finally turned me off. It was as if they were trying to brick your unit so you would buy another. Ah! the greed of Corporations. As long as you shop for your TV or monitor with knowledge of the USB video input types it will read you should be OK with just the Smart TV. But then there is the portability of a little media playing unit that you can take almost anywhere there's power, and have a variable set of cords to connect to almost any TV and not have to lug yours around. Heck you can take it to a sinners house and really give them the works.

What do you think of the Pope changing the wording of the Lords Prayer? I get awful confused at bedtime and can't decide exactly how to re-interpret the "lead us not into temptation". I wish he would have just left well enough alone. For now I try to remember "and lead us from temptation and deliver us from evil" But I keep thinking it still not quite right. maybe "help us to avoid the temptations and evils of a sinners life".

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1202147

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice