equipment needed to run home electronics wireless

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

JB67

Im still hard wired to my electronics, and would like to be wireless to everything including my tv and stereo
from my pc. I just need to know what equipment and/or work i need to do to my pc to make this happen.

cwwozniak

Chuck
We may need some more information before even considering any suggestions.

What other things are part of the "Everything" besides the TV and stereo system?

Do you just wish to be at your computer and playback video and/or audio files from the computer to the TV or stereo? Or, do you wish some kind of box by the TV and stereo that will let you access and play files saved on your computer?

Do you have an HDTV (what resolution) or an older standard definition TV?

You do realize that you may need new equipment both on the computer end and for each of the devices you wish to connect to?

JB67

I would like to be able to play my audio and video files from my pc. I also have a printer and a satellite DVR that i would like to access. My tv is 1920x1080 HD LCD

cwwozniak

Chuck
I would like to be able to play my audio and video files from my pc.
My tv is 1920x1080 HD LCD
You are talking high video bandwidths for a 1080P HD signal. Are you ready to pay about $800 USD for a wireless feed from the computer to the TV?

http://www.gizmag.com/philips-wireless-hdtv-link-sw1800/13177/

I also have a printer ...
Does the printer have built-in WiFi (802.11 wireless) support?
Is your computer currently going through any kind of wired or wireless local network?

and a satellite DVR
Does the satellite service provider offer any kind of networking options for the unit? What do you want the computer to able to do with the DVR?

JB67

Wow!! Maybe the tv needs to be hardwired! The printer is wireless ready. The DVR was something i wasnt sure could be done, but since the tv will be so high, hopefully it can. I want to be able to swap video back and forth between it and my pc. And my internet is currently wireless from my gateway.

cwwozniak

Chuck
We have DirecTV and they offer software to allow viewing of files stored on the computer on some DVRs with networking support. I don't think they allow copying recorded programs to a computer though. I suspect that this is due to video piracy concerns of the programming providers. Not sure what Dish Network offers. I have no idea what satellite providers offer outside the USA.

If your printer has wireless hardware installed (and is not just ready to have optional wireless hardware added to it) you should have all of the hardware needed for a wireless connection from the printer to your gateway. Check the printer manual for information on how to enable and configure the wireless connection.

JB67

I have Direct in the US. The printer is WiFi. So what am i gona need?
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
OS Version Microsoft Windows 7 Professional , 64 bit
Processor AMD Phenom(tm) 9750 Quad-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 16 Model 2 Stepping 3
Processor Count 4
RAM 4095 Mb
Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT, 512 Mb
Hard Drives C Total - 305142 MB, Free - 256650 MB;
Motherboard ASUSTeK Computer INC., M3A78-EM, Rev X.0x, MS1C94B02700127
Antivirus McAfee VirusScan, Updated and Enabled

cwwozniak

Chuck
According to the DirecTV web site, you need one of the following receivers: DIRECTV Plus® HD DVR, DIRECTV Plus® DVR (R22 model only) or DIRECTV® HD (H21 and H23 models only) to work with their Media Share software. If you have one of those models, the following page has information on the set-up options:

http://support.directv.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2807

EDIT: As for the printer, check the user manual for any step by step instructions.

etaf

Wayne
what country are you in

I run HD across my wireless network - mostly 1080i as thats all thats broadcast , but also have some 1080P

i'm using skyplayer and BBC iPlayer and various Video files saved on a TVersity Media Server across a normal wireless network direct to a TV and PVR
The Humax & TV are connected by a basic edimax wireless access point "G" cost about £35
then to a WAG320N wireless router connected to internet

JB67

According to the DirecTV web site, you need one of the following receivers: DIRECTV Plus® HD DVR, DIRECTV Plus® DVR (R22 model only) or DIRECTV® HD (H21 and H23 models only) to work with their Media Share software. If you have one of those models, the following page has information on the set-up options:

http://support.directv.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2807

EDIT: As for the printer, check the user manual for any step by step instructions.
I have Plus, HD, R22 model.....what do i need to do to my pc??

JB67

what country are you in

I run HD across my wireless network - mostly 1080i as thats all thats broadcast , but also have some 1080P

i'm using skyplayer and BBC iPlayer and various Video files saved on a TVersity Media Server across a normal wireless network direct to a TV and PVR
The Humax & TV are connected by a basic edimax wireless access point "G" cost about £35
then to a WAG320N wireless router connected to internet
Im in the US

JB67

I dont know what i need in order to set up a wireless system?!? Im sure there has to be something i need to add to my pc.

etaf

Wayne
make and model of all the equipment you have
PC
Modem
Router
And how everything connects to internet - wireless / cable
And my internet is currently wireless from my gateway
you say you already have wireless here
so you may not need much

JB67

My Op system....
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
OS Version Microsoft Windows 7 Professional , 64 bit
Processor AMD Phenom(tm) 9750 Quad-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 16 Model 2 Stepping 3
Processor Count 4
RAM 4095 Mb
Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT, 512 Mb
Hard Drives C Total - 305142 MB, Free - 256650 MB;
Motherboard ASUSTeK Computer INC., M3A78-EM, Rev X.0x, MS1C94B02700127
Antivirus McAfee VirusScan, Updated and Enabled

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts