1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

equipment needed to run home electronics wireless

Discussion in 'Networking' started by JB67, Jan 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JB67

JB67 Thread Starter

Im still hard wired to my electronics, and would like to be wireless to everything including my tv and stereo
    from my pc. I just need to know what equipment and/or work i need to do to my pc to make this happen.

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    We may need some more information before even considering any suggestions.

What other things are part of the "Everything" besides the TV and stereo system?

Do you just wish to be at your computer and playback video and/or audio files from the computer to the TV or stereo? Or, do you wish some kind of box by the TV and stereo that will let you access and play files saved on your computer?

Do you have an HDTV (what resolution) or an older standard definition TV?

You do realize that you may need new equipment both on the computer end and for each of the devices you wish to connect to?

3. JB67

JB67 Thread Starter

I would like to be able to play my audio and video files from my pc. I also have a printer and a satellite DVR that i would like to access. My tv is 1920x1080 HD LCD

4. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    You are talking high video bandwidths for a 1080P HD signal. Are you ready to pay about $800 USD for a wireless feed from the computer to the TV?

http://www.gizmag.com/philips-wireless-hdtv-link-sw1800/13177/

Does the printer have built-in WiFi (802.11 wireless) support?
    Is your computer currently going through any kind of wired or wireless local network?

Does the satellite service provider offer any kind of networking options for the unit? What do you want the computer to able to do with the DVR?

5. JB67

JB67 Thread Starter

Wow!! Maybe the tv needs to be hardwired! The printer is wireless ready. The DVR was something i wasnt sure could be done, but since the tv will be so high, hopefully it can. I want to be able to swap video back and forth between it and my pc. And my internet is currently wireless from my gateway.

6. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    We have DirecTV and they offer software to allow viewing of files stored on the computer on some DVRs with networking support. I don't think they allow copying recorded programs to a computer though. I suspect that this is due to video piracy concerns of the programming providers. Not sure what Dish Network offers. I have no idea what satellite providers offer outside the USA.

If your printer has wireless hardware installed (and is not just ready to have optional wireless hardware added to it) you should have all of the hardware needed for a wireless connection from the printer to your gateway. Check the printer manual for information on how to enable and configure the wireless connection.

7. JB67

JB67 Thread Starter

I have Direct in the US. The printer is WiFi. So what am i gona need?
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
    OS Version Microsoft Windows 7 Professional , 64 bit
    Processor AMD Phenom(tm) 9750 Quad-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 16 Model 2 Stepping 3
    Processor Count 4
    RAM 4095 Mb
    Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT, 512 Mb
    Hard Drives C Total - 305142 MB, Free - 256650 MB;
    Motherboard ASUSTeK Computer INC., M3A78-EM, Rev X.0x, MS1C94B02700127
    Antivirus McAfee VirusScan, Updated and Enabled

8. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    According to the DirecTV web site, you need one of the following receivers: DIRECTV Plus® HD DVR, DIRECTV Plus® DVR (R22 model only) or DIRECTV® HD (H21 and H23 models only) to work with their Media Share software. If you have one of those models, the following page has information on the set-up options:

http://support.directv.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2807

EDIT: As for the printer, check the user manual for any step by step instructions.

9. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    what country are you in

I run HD across my wireless network - mostly 1080i as thats all thats broadcast , but also have some 1080P

i'm using skyplayer and BBC iPlayer and various Video files saved on a TVersity Media Server across a normal wireless network direct to a TV and PVR
    The Humax & TV are connected by a basic edimax wireless access point "G" cost about £35
    then to a WAG320N wireless router connected to internet

10. JB67

JB67 Thread Starter

I have Plus, HD, R22 model.....what do i need to do to my pc??

11. JB67

JB67 Thread Starter

Im in the US

12. JB67

JB67 Thread Starter

Do i need some kind of card or program for my pc?

13. JB67

JB67 Thread Starter

I dont know what i need in order to set up a wireless system?!? Im sure there has to be something i need to add to my pc.

14. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    make and model of all the equipment you have
    PC
    Modem
    Router
    And how everything connects to internet - wireless / cable
    you say you already have wireless here
    so you may not need much

15. JB67

JB67 Thread Starter

My Op system....
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
    OS Version Microsoft Windows 7 Professional , 64 bit
    Processor AMD Phenom(tm) 9750 Quad-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 16 Model 2 Stepping 3
    Processor Count 4
    RAM 4095 Mb
    Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT, 512 Mb
    Hard Drives C Total - 305142 MB, Free - 256650 MB;
    Motherboard ASUSTeK Computer INC., M3A78-EM, Rev X.0x, MS1C94B02700127
    Antivirus McAfee VirusScan, Updated and Enabled

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973447

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice