1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Erase all hardware info/Reg Key

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Piringa, Jan 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Piringa

Piringa Thread Starter

Does anyone know what registry key i need to delete to erase all of the hardware registered to the os in windows 98?

I need to do this becuase I installed the os (98) throught my new pc and the hardware was installed on the OS. I wanted to install 98 on the HD and bring it to my old pc but it crashes at boot. I think its because the hardware does not match and it just crashes. So I wanna get the HD put it in my new pc boot into 98 and erase all the hardware profiles ect. Then put the HD in the old pc and have it install the hardware on the old pc.

2. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

I have never tried the method in this link. I've had it in my Favorites for quite a while and it sounds like something you might want to have a look at:

http://www.billsworkshop.com/techtips/cleaninstall.html

If you don't want to go that far, I have always heard removing HKLM\Enum does it.

But this other method seems more thorough.

EDIT: Hi Byteman. Just say your post and the directions for removing HKLM\Enum

3. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi, This page should help. To do this, you do realize you will have a lot of drivers to reinstall....have your disks handy! I sure hope this does not land you in more trouble than you have now.
    It may seem easier than a format, but this can be confusing.
    Make sure you write down the makes and model ID's of your devices!!! ((For some motherboards, this is important>>you should install drivers for the chipset, AGP graphics, etc FIRST>>
    if you have a VIA chipset, download the VIA 4inone driver set to the hard drive so it is handy, then run the download AFTER you delete the ENUM key....ONLY if you HAVE a VIA chipset)) Do you have a Drivers CD for your motherboard, or a Restore CD with them?? Windows CD does not contain all you may need. If your computer is one that uses a Restore type CD, then all you need is that for now. For a system that you had built,or bought, that is not using a Restore CD, they may have given you a CD with these drivers.

You may have some other driver updating to do afterward, depends on how much updating of them you had done- the drivers from install disks are not always the best, but usually work OK to start out with. Anyway, here is link to page that explains what to do. Good luck! http://www.highvid.com/software_t/enum/enum_1.shtml

4. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Mo- Just saw yours, too! He will have some real good help now!
    [tsg=welcome][/tsg]

5. Del

Del

There's a enum key in the registry that will cause the computer to find all the hardware and reinstall it all.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115849

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice