1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Erase My Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mike5426, Sep 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike5426

mike5426 Thread Starter

I have problems with my computer's audio/video/games/mouse skipping. A technitian said to erase my hard drive and reload xp. How do I do that?

2. rockinmale

rockinmale

Hi mike5426!

Reloading an OS isnt as difficult as it used to be. In order to reload xp the first thing that you will need to do is go into your bios. Different systems have different keystrokes to get into the bios. Since i dont know your system i can only guess what it is?

You can try the delete key, f2, f10

When you power up the system try hitting one of these keys several times and see if it goes into your bios. If not shutdown and try another. Some systems tell you what key to hit on the bootscreen to get into your bios. So that will make things easier.

As for what you need to do in bios. Windows xp needs to boot from the cdrom drive in order to install windows xp. While your in the bios look through there and find where your able to change the boot sequence. Change it so the cdrom is the first boot device. Once you have completed that save and exit. Oh almost forgot before exiting make sure your xp cd is in the drive. When the computer reboots it say something in regards to atapi emulation. Hit any key to continue. This will allow it to boot from the cdrom. If you dont hit a key it will boot normally after it times out. Once windows xp setup is installed and you go through some normal selections. You will want to delete the windows xp partition and create a new one. Follow the prompts and when it wants to format the partition select either fat 32 or ntfs. Unless you use ntfs i would default to fat 32. Just click on the recommended format not the quick one and windows will format the drive and reinstall windows. It's easier than it looks.

If you have any other questions regarding how to get into your bios post back.....otherwise good luck
    TC
    rockinmale:cool:

3. zeddy

zeddy

Before you rush into a format, can you post exactly what problems you are having, with what rpograms tec. Also what are your hardware specs, are there any conflicts in device manager etc.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/164349

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice