1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

erase some of hard drive

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by debjerry, Mar 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. debjerry

debjerry Thread Starter

how do i erase information on my hard drive?

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Ok, we need a little more detail about what you want to do first. Do you just want to wipe the unused space so that deleted files cannot be retrieved. You can use a Program called UltraWipe to do that. It is free. There are other programs that do this as well. I believe UltraWipe will do a D.O.D compliant wipe as well.

If you want to completely wipe the hard drive because you are selling the computer, I recommned AutoClave or Secure Hard Disk Eraser. Both are free. They are bootable floppies that will wipe your hard drive. Both do D.O.D compliant wipes.

3. debjerry

debjerry Thread Starter

i want to make sure deleted files cannot be retrived. where can i get this ultra wipe?

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

http://www.webattack.com/get/ultrawipe.shtml

Be aware that true "file deletion" where the file can never ever be recovered by anyone would require that the HDD be physically destroyed and the platters ground up.

HDD magnetic media has a characteristic that allows recovery even after use of such programs above, but it would be VERY expensive and probably only available to law enforcement or defense.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I think for all practical purposes, after running an application like this, the data is gone. Unless you make someone at the NSA very mad, I suspect it's pretty secure. :)

6. souma

souma

depending on the drive u wanna erase info from .....go to the specified drive, right click on the drive icon->properties->format. this should solve ur problem...let me know waht happens....ciao... (y)

7. Squashman

Maybe you should read the whole thread before posting a solution. He just wanted to wipe the free space, so that deleted files could no longer be retrieved. Your solution would wipe the whole drive and you cannot format hard drive within Windows 2000 or XP if the drive is in use. If the OS is on that drive and is active, you cannot format it.

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Squashman, not only that, but it's very easy to recover files left after a format. :)

9. Squashman

Yep, I agree. (y) Thanks for mentioning it.

10. johnni

johnni

To those who have a hard disk with lots of empty space that they would like to keep clean but can't face the hours it takes to do it I would like to bring to your attention a discontinued freeware that 'reserves' in approx 2GB blocks the unused spaces so that they cannot be written to.

I have been using it for nearly three years without problem. It is very easy to run; initially the program suggests a disk volume to 'reserve' that you can change, and when you want to get any of the space back just open the Reserve folder and delete any of the reserved files, but press Shift before doing so or you will get a message about the file(s) being too big for the recycle bin! The program works with any hard drives.

Before running the program it is a good idea to use a clean-up program first, despite the length of time it takes, and then you will be able to reserve clean volumes, but this is not essential. Future clean-ups will take a lot less time as the reserved files will count as current 'data' and be ignored; but always keep room for normal files to be moved around during a defrag, which also takes less time.

As I said the program has been discontinued but is still available on that site which keeps most current freeware and some discontinued freeware http://www.all4you.dk/FreewareWorld/links.php?search=jdn+reserve&la=en.

johnni

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/341516

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice