1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

erase vista reload XP

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by wild dog, Oct 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wild dog

wild dog Thread Starter

Hello

I have enough computer experience to get by, however removing an OS and replacing it with another is beyond me

I have the original XP Home disc

plan is to format the drive c and d (mirror?) (33 gigs each)- to erase vista
    the reload XP

OK so far? something tells me it's not that easy

tried to google it, but thought I'd ask first
    all things I need are backed up

wbd

2. dannyn

dannyn

3. jmwills

jmwills

So, the machine originally came with XP and you bought a retail copy of Vista?

4. wild dog

wild dog Thread Starter

sorry for the late reply -

machine came with vista

have an old XP home original copy from my other rig

5. wild dog

wild dog Thread Starter

not sure about the drivers

downloadable on the net?

6. dannyn

dannyn

Let's adress one issue at a time.
    The most important being... You CANNOT use the license that you have for another rig and use the same license to run on a differn rig, what I am saying is that you cannot have one license on two rigs. That is a form of piracy.
    That being said, if it came with vista, is there even xp drivers? That is always something to think about.

7. jmwills

jmwills

The link to the Stevens site is a good one. Boot from the XP disc, delete all partitions (this will erase all your data) create a new one of about 25 gigs for the OS and programs and another that will hold your data.
    Depending on the make of your machine, you may have received a resource disc that could contain XP drivers aloso, but all drivers are available on the web..

Is this is an OEM copy of XP, then your install is illegal. That copy is forever tied to the machine it came with..not transferable. If retail, you will need to decommission the old install first.

8. wild dog

wild dog Thread Starter

did not know that would be illegal b/c it came with a machine I bought legally - it's an OEM

nevertheless I'll get a legal copy from microsoft with sp2 updates

I'll folow the links and perhaps the microsoft copy will come with all the drivers i hope

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

No, the xp disk you get from MS will NOT have all of the drivers for a modern system. That is why you must check the system maker's site for drivers.

If it is a desktop, you might be able to find drivers. If it is a laptop, you need to get the drivers from the mfg's site.

Locate drivers and download. Burn those to a CD, save on external, etc. In any case do this before you do anything else.

If there are no xp drivers, then you are wasting your time AND asking for a problem.

10. wild dog

wild dog Thread Starter

OK
    understood

11. Pookie

Pookie

If the Vista you bought is Vista business or higher dont you have downgrade rights?
    If you bought home premium you dont but business or higher then you can use the same key from your xp cd and call it into microsoft for verification.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758981

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice