1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

erasing files, selling computer

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Servant1975, Jul 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Servant1975

Servant1975 Thread Starter

I'm about to sell a computer and want to know if there are any good, cheap (hopefully free) programs that will make deleted files unrecoverable. I don't want personal files to be hacked into, and would prefer not to wipe/reformat the harddrive. Thanx

2. TOGG

TOGG

3. valis

valis Moderator

what togg said. You can either give them the hd as is, or reformat it. Not a lot of middle ground. And if you are REALLY concerned about them getting data off, use dban as togg suggested. If you are freakin' worried, only option left is to physically shred the drive. Doubt you'll go that far; at the very least, I would use dban and let them get their own operating system.

4. sekirt

sekirt

Restoration is a very handy program to use to recover deleted files. Everyone should have a copy for that day when a file gets accidently deleted. That is how I have used it for years.

But it also has a wipe feature.
    "Restore files which are deleted from the recycle bin or deleted while holding down the Shift key by mistake. Conversely, this program has another function that makes it almost impossible to restore all deleted files. You can use it after deletion of confidential documents, embarrassing files and so on. You don't have to install it, so it doesn't leave any garbage on your PC. It can even be run from a floppy disk."

Right click, Save Target As...
    ftp://ftp.externet.hu/pub/mirror/sac/utildisk/rest2514.exe

sekirt

5. jamesh2923

jamesh2923

Wipe the HD. Not only to protect your data but your SW license for Windows prevents your reselling it.

6. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

?
    A link to that resale clause would be good, because I belive you are incorrect.

The only "restrictions" come with OEM systems is that they can only be sold with the computer that they were installed on, never transferred to another PC. They "live and die" with that PC, irrespective of who may own the PC from time to time.

But to the original question, if you are REALLY concerned about a new owner recovering personal data, then fit a new HDD and reload Windows, keeping the old HDD yourself.

If someone was prepared to throw enough money and time at the old one, data could be retrieved.

7. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

There are programs out there that can wipe the free space. Eraser and Ultra-Wipe are two that I have played with. Sysinternals also has a secure file deletion tool but I have never tried it.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/485435

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice