Erasing my hard drive on a 98SE

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Geof

I have a computer about five years old with a Pentimum III and a hard drive that is loaded with a bunch of stufff I want off and eliminated to exceed Government standards, as I like security and privacy. what is the best freeware for the solution, and how do I find it. Next item is after the hard disk is cleaned, is it easy to re-install my original software for my kids to use this computer for simple games and educational programs? How do I find a procedure to place the computer in it's original state? I have a "Resource and Driver Utility" from the computer manufacturer. Is this helpful. I also have all the software on CD they installed. Thanks in advance, Geof

Darik's Boot & Nuke for erasing the drive.

You should be able to just boot from your recovery CD's and they will lead you through the installation. Does one of them contain a Windows installation?

Geof

I have a "Resource & Driver Utility" CD by AST computer. I have my "Windows 98 SE" CD. I have four CD's for Microsoft "Works Suite 99" They are as follows: One says Setup...for Word 97, Works 4.5A, Works Calender, Internet Explorer 4.01, Money 00- basic setup, Encarta Encyclopedia 99, Graphics, and Greetings 99, Next one has: Microsoft Money 99/ Basic Audio video help, Microsoft Word Valupack, third CD has Encarta and Encyclopedia 99, fourth CD has Graphics studio and Greetings 99. Is this what I need to proceed? Which goes in first, if this is all I have. If I'm missing any needed CD's then BestBuy kept it on my last crash... thanks in advance... Geof

Geof

How many times does this re-write your hard drive? Or to ask it another way, is this erasing beyond the us/German government specifications for erasing hard drives?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online