Solved Err during delete that file has been moved and not found

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

SkywayTraveler

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: Genuine Intel(R) CPU U7300 @ 1.30GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 4061 Mb
Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family, 1806 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 461939 MB, Free - 414108 MB;
Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer Inc., UL30A
Antivirus: Avira Antivirus, Updated and Enabled

I was trying to delete a named file that was on my disk, but I got an error that it had been moved and could not be deleted. The filename appears in my directory tree at a place that I know that it was at one time. It then asked for administrative privileges which I was already logged in as an administrator. So I clicked to continue. Then Explorer crashed and said that it was sending info to Microsoft. Then it said that Explorer was restarting, and the window disappeared with my cursor on my desktop.

I wanted to run chkdsk, but it wouldn't run as "chkdsk c:" in the Run box. Somehow I think that the pointer in the directory is messed up. A ckdsk will normally fix that, although I might lose the file. But that's okay. I have a backup. I just need the pointer fixed so I don't accidentally keep crashing Explorer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, because this laptop cannot be upgraded to Windows 10.

Hello SkywayTraveler Welcome to TSG. Open a command prompt (Start \ All Programs \ Accessories) Right click the CMD and run as admin. Type chkdsk /f and let it run. Let us know how it goes.

SkywayTraveler

Hello SkywayTraveler Welcome to TSG. Open a command prompt (Start \ All Programs \ Accessories) Right click the CMD and run as admin. Type chkdsk /f and let it run. Let us know how it goes.
It worked perfectly! Chkdsk found the broken file pointers in the VTOC and deleted them so I was only left with good files and pointers. Even at that I forgot the /f option when I tried originally. Thanks very much for the help, Lance1 - really appreciated. :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts