1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

err. message: please insert bootable media from floppy

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by wheeler420, Feb 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wheeler420

wheeler420 Thread Starter

i am trying to start a computer that hasn't been used for awhile it is using windows 98 i got it from my cousins dad and he didn't give me any of the disks. and when i turn it on it sais please insert bootable media in appropriate drive and i downloaded a boot disk for it from www.bootdisks.com and i inserted it in and it still didn't do anything it just keeps repeating itself. i don't think the floppydrive is working because when i press a key the light on the floppy drive doesn't come on. i pressed f1 after the system memory check and that doesn't help does anyone know how to get the floppy to work again or if i need to boot from a dos disk or what also my cd rom drive isn't working either.

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome.

When you downloaded the boot disk file, you didn't just save it to the floppy disk did you? If so, you can't do that, it must be double clicked on and executed to create the boot disk.

Also in the bios setup, can you check to be sure 1) the hard drive appears, and 2) the floppy is the first boot device?

3. wheeler420

i went to the icon in my download files and automatically it sais to insert floppy into drive A: and i did and it wrote to the disk so the files must be on there. but the main problem is that it does recognize drive A: on my old computer. but it won't read from it the lights on the drive come on. but they stay on and they don't blink as if it was reading from it do. you know how to get it to read from the driive.

4. ~Candy~

Light staying on - floppy drive, usually means cable to floppy is backwards.....in the bios setup, you have a: as the first boot device?

5. wheeler420

the floppy doesn't come on if i insert the cable the other way. it's suppose to be towards the power right. i pressed f1 after system memory check. and put the floppy as the first boot device. is that even the bios setting. but it still doesn't recognize the floppy in the disk it's as if it doesn't even try to check because when i put a disk in and press a button. it just sais the same thing over again like it didn't even check for a bootable media. i don't know if it could be that i have a old floppy drive the 5.25 drive connected to. do you think that could be something.

6. ~Candy~

Check again in the bios setup....as I recall some of those older computers with the dual floppy drives, you have to make a choice to boot to a: or b: or top or bottom.......it's been a long time, but I do remember there were some differences.

7. wheeler420

there is no option to choose between two different floppy drives. it's just that it doesn't try to read any drive when i insert a floppy disk. it just goes strait to the floppy do you know any sites that tells information on error messages for boot up of windows 98

8. ~Candy~

You might try here....
    http://www.computerhope.com/help/hdd.htm

Basically it's telling you it can't find a hard drive, and it can't find the floppy drive to boot from.........does the hard drive even appear in the bios setup?

9. kilowatt1

kilowatt1

What is the make and model of your old computer?

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!