1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Erratic behavior on boot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jim Neely, Dec 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim Neely

Jim Neely Thread Starter

AMD 64 FX-53
    Abit AV8 MoBo Radeon X850
    Win XP sp2 on RAID0 drive

On boot the BIOS sometimes IDs the 2 drives on IDE1. C: drive almost always but D: only about half the time. Even when BIOS sees the D: drive it occasionally does not appear in My Computer once Windows loads. Rescanning (under "disk management") makes no difference. Sometimes on boot up I get the light blue screen telling me I need to check disk D: or cancel by hitting any key within 9 sec. Sometimes D; checks out fine and sometimes the check results are that all folders are unreadable. If I skip the disk check, sometimes D: is present in My Computer and sometimes it's not. When it's present, it performs fine and error checking finds no problems. Sometimes D: is present in My Computer upon initial boot but is not when I look later.

The 2 optical drives on IDE2 have never been a problem.

Once the boot order of the IDE1 disks was reversed in the BIOS for no apparent reason.

I just replaced the BIOS battery without helping the problem. I had a Gig of cheap memory that I replaced with expensive memory without helping either.

A perhaps related issue: occasionally the computer will begin to "hang" (become unresponsive) for a few seconds every minute or so. During the hangs the disk drive is active. Task Manager hangs too so I can't ID what process is executing. I tried using Task Manager to close processes sequentially but none made any difference. Rebooting eliminates the problem. The hanging reappears erratically - sometimes right away - sometimes not for a few days.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated

2. SirKenin

SirKenin Banned

It sounds like either the RAID controller is going flakey for some reason or your array is pooched. It is also possible that drive D is defective, but I would put my efforts into the array first before trying to diagnose the HDD. For one, get your data off the drives and for another don't use RAID 0. It is unreliable and a bad idea for a home user. It doesn't give you any extra performance either unless you are transferring large files. There is a very good review on StorageReview that confirms this, with Anandtech backing it up with their own findings.

EDIT: Oh hang on a second.. I think I read that wrong. C is your array, D is a separate drive. Geez, I have to wake up for pete's sake. Then yeah, the drive is probably failing. Sorry about that.

3. GripS

GripS

This drive that doesn't show up all the time, is it just set up as additional storage?

I suspect that the drive itself may be failing(intermittent failure).

Do you by chance have another HD to attatch to verify this? Try another IDE cable?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!