1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Erratic connection?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by xxsanadaxx, Feb 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xxsanadaxx

xxsanadaxx Thread Starter

It's difficult to explain what's going on with my PC right now. I'm fairly sure it's not a virus - I ran the Norton NPE file and it turned up nothing (it's supposed to be a heavy rootkit scanner) and I have AVG Internet Security 2011 - it also shows up nothing on scans, and it generally works pretty solidly for me.

I've got problems with disconnections. It will continue to read 'Connected' yet I cannot browse or use Yahoo! Instant Messenger or Skype, I can't do anything on it. This happens frequently, every ten to thirty minutes, quicker if I'm doing more online, less often if I'm not browsing at all. It's almost like I'm exceeding a bandwidth limitation, but there IS no bandwidth limitation at all, and I'm not going anywhere near any limit that would be set - I'm not doing much at all.

This is extremely frustrating, as I often play games online with my friends and it happens in the middle of that.

I've tried resetting the router. No help. This isn't happening with any other PCs in the house so it's not a service provider problem, and I switched from an onboard Ethernet card to a wireless USB setup - my signal strength reads max, and there were no problems with the internet cable going into the router. None of this is clearing it up. As I typed this out, I literally disconnected with no warning and for no reason. I haven't done anything new, I haven't been browsing any strange websites, I don't know what's going on.

It's been happening for about a week and I'd love to make it go away. It began as heavy lag, only effecting my internet. I could do anything else fine. Nothing else on my PC is affected in the least. No pop-ups, no warnings, nothing like that. Just disconnections, over and over again, without warning and without cause. I CAN usually make my internet work again if I disable and re-enable the connection from the Network Connections tab in the Control Pannel.

I'm running Windows XP SP3. My default browser is Google Chrome. Anything else you need to know, I'll be happy to answer. Just please, help me solve this problem? I really appreciate it.

Added - I said before I don't think this is a virus, and I don't think it is. I've ran a few different scans, all of which turned up nothing. This is a connection problem, so I posted it here first. If I should go to the Virus and Malware forum, I will. I figured it belongs here, though.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Use the AVG Remover and do these repairs ...

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2 or SP3.

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

You can reinstall AVG after testing.

3. xxsanadaxx

I did as you said - I'm waiting to see if it disconnects again. Who knows how long it'll take. AVG reinstalled fine, it seems. Thank you for your speedy reply - I apologize for not getting back to you sooner. Rugby matches today, haha.

Edit - it does appear to still be disconnecting. At first, the connection was stable and it had been lagging less than it had for a long while. But as I was re-updating my AVG definitions, it disconnected.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Make sure you have the latest ethernet driver from your PC or motherboard manufacturer's web site. If you already have the latest driver use Device Manager to uninstall it; reboot and let Windows discover the adapter and reinstall the driver (this is in case the installed instance is corrupted).

If you are using the USB wireless do the same for it (but the driver comes from the card manufacturer's site).

Run the repairs again.

5. xxsanadaxx

I used the uninstall trick when I was using the wired connection, and after, when I installed the Wireless USB adapter and it started messing up again. It didn't help.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I'm out of ideas. :( The kind of disconnects you are experiencing are usually caused by driver, firewall or stack issues. Could also be defective adapter, but doubt it since you have the same problem with both ethernet and Wi-Fi.

7. xxsanadaxx

Thanks for your help anyway. I don't know what it is - but it's annoying. I can usually fix it by disconnecting and reconnecting the internet, and it stays up for a while. I got almost two hours of up-time today.

Thanks much for the help, though. Even if it wasn't fixed, I still really appreciate you trying.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Wait a minute. I just reread the above. Did you reinstall AVG before you got a disconnect?

After you use the AVG Remover if you get a disconnect then AVG was probably not the cause. If you do not get a disconnect you want to run for at least several hours before reinstalling the suspect.

9. xxsanadaxx

I got the disconnect before I reinstalled AVG. I'm sorry I got that mixed up, haha.

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Thanks for clearing that up. I was just scrapping the bottom for any possible clue.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1042466

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice