1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

erratic mouse and audio Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by gaitchison, Apr 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gaitchison

gaitchison Thread Starter

About every 15 to 30 seconds I get erratic mouse movement. If audio is playing, it becomes scratchy and jumpy. It lasts for about 2 seconds and then is fine until the next occurence. Windows 7 on Dell XPS 435T with 12 gigs ram. It`s been happening for about 5 months now.

2. vicks

vicks

Have you tried to update your audio and mouse drivers?
    What is the 7 digit service tag numbers on your Dell and I will see if I can find any information for you.
    Vicks

3. gaitchison

Thanks Vick for the quick reply. I thought I had software that kept my drivers current, but I will check that out. My service tag is J3K3QL1. The issue seems like a program that runs intermittently every 20 -30 seconds. I'm not an expert but with the amount of RAM the computer has it seems strange that it causes so much disturbance. I really appreciate any help you can give me.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    That could be at least part of the problem. Find and squash that software. Make sure you have the latest drivers from Dell's web site. After that there is no need to go back to check for updates unless you are experiencing a problem or think there may be a new feature in a new driver.

5. vicks

vicks

6. gaitchison

Please excuse my ignorance, but how would I find out which drivers I require? I have a program called Driver Whiz which says I need 5 of them, but I can't seem to install any of them. On the Dell site I can't figure out how to go about checking for which ones I require. I'm really not that literate in these things!
    Dell support ran all their tests on my machine and said it was working perfectly, and I had an abundance of excess memory. They said it has to be a software problem, which, of course, is not covered under my 4-year warranty.

7. vicks

vicks

Go into device manager and expand the different item's so you can see what the brands are, or
    go to www. belarc.com and download this small free program and run it. It will tell you everything on your computer, including license keys etc. (I keep a hard copy of this (printing it off) for each of our computers.)
    This will identify the manufacturer and model number of the hardware on your computer, so you will be able to identify which drivers you need to get...
    Vicks

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Considering your issues you might consider the BIOS update. Then for sure you want the Audio - Realtek driver and the two Recommended things under Mouse & Keyboards. And, most importantly, if applicable you want the Dell Wireless Desktop Keyboard & Mouse bundle.

9. gaitchison

Well, I've finally managed to download and install all the drivers except 4. It says I need another driver for my printer (working fine), but the driver is for a completely different printer - an HP 4700 (Ihave a 6210). It says I need one for a PnP monitor. I have downloaded several times, but gives no indication that it is installed, or how to install it. And finally it says I require 2 chipset drivers which will not install because it says I need administrator priveleges. When I go to accounts it says I am the administrator. I have attempted to attach the list of drivers needed and the error messages. Many thanks for any help with this!

Attached Files:

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!