1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

erratic mouse or mice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bargi, Nov 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bargi

bargi Thread Starter

About a month ago my Microsoft wireless optical mouse 2000 started behaving erratically. When I would first turn on the computer, it would work fine for awhile and then start its tricks. I read solutions and first changed the batteries. Whoopee. problem solved - for perhaps a day - and then it was back. I then changed the USB port and same story. It worked fine for a day or so and then the same problem was back. I did not try it in another computer as I didn't have the time to wait to see if the fix was only temporary. I also cleaned the darn thing and got a different mouse pad. I ran internal problem solving and got a good report. I concluded that the mouse was just worn out so I bought a new mouse MS 5000 which again seemed to have solved the problem. Yes, you guessed it. This one is behaving erratically, too, but its behavior is somewhat different. This one is jumpy. I am presuming it is a software problem but I don't know where to turn. I have downloaded the TSG SysInfo but don't know how to add it to this post unless it is done automatically. In case, I am using an H-P desktop running W-7.

2. dai

dai

in the control panel go into devices

right click on the usb receiver and then on trouble shoot,and see what it comes up with

3. bargi

bargi Thread Starter

Thanks for your response. Is this the same as the Microsoft wireless transceiver? If so, it said there were no issues.

4. dai

dai

yes the wording in 8 is different

right click on the mouse and troubleshoot

i have been going through the same except with the k/b

i had the ms 1000

switched to a logitech

bought a ms 7000

i have d/loaded and reinstalled the driver and s/ware a number of times

checked for a infection

i have isolated the cause to the usb contoller failing to reset properly when resuming from sleep mode

each time i think i have it sorted it returns

we seem to have gone down the same path

5. bargi

bargi Thread Starter

Dai, I, too, did a virus scan and checked for new drivers. Trouble shooting shows no problem. I have not uninstalled and reinstalled the driver and software and, since you have done it, I don't plan to. I was wondering if perhaps running Ccleaner might help. I had a cordless phone on my desk but have moved it since some say that might cause interference. NOTHING I DO SEEMS TO HELP. This is so frustrating.

6. dai

dai

don't run registry cleaners

they do more harm than good

7. dai

dai

is the usb receiver plugged into a usb2 slot on the case or connected to a hub

8. bargi

bargi Thread Starter

It is plugged directly into the case. Dai, if you have a partial fix for this, could you tell me what it is? I could live a little better just having to redo something now and then. Does your mouse become more erratic over time? For instance, My computer has been on for about an hour and I am experiencing no problems but as the night progresses it gets worse and worse until I have a hard time xing out of things.

9. dai

dai

my problem is the kb becoming erratic and non responsive

after weeks of playing up it finally threw up a reason

it did not like being in a usb3 port or being plugged into a hub

i only have 1 usb2 port on the back,but i have 2 on the front

i plugged it in the front yesterday and so far no problems with it

i am reluctant to use the front ports for anything permanently in case someone walking past snags and damages it

10. bargi

bargi Thread Starter

Following your lead, I have just now plugged into the USB port on the front of my computer and things are working fine - after it being almost unusable. I am not going to get too excited about this as the pattern has been that it would work fine for awhile after any change. That ought to tell me something but I am not getting it. I really, really appreciate your hanging in there with me.

11. dai

dai

same here still running ok

12. bargi

bargi Thread Starter

As soon as I woke my computer up tonight, the mouse was really wild. Sometimes if I right click it seems to help for awhile. The wheel works beautifully - no problem at all. Even when the mouse is behaving, the "feel" still isn't right. If you hadn't told me that you had used a Logitech, I would probably be out buying one right now. Is there no hope at all for this?

13. dai

dai

14. bargi

bargi Thread Starter

Last night, the night of the wild mouse, I double clicked on the mouse image "somewhere". I again ran the trouble shooter and wonder of wonders, things are great tonight. By this time on previous nights, it would have been up to its erratic tricks but not tonight. Even the "feel" of the mouse is different and normal. I have my fingers crossed that this problem is behind me. I don't really want to mark this solved as I don't know what I did to solve it. Again, I want to express my appreciation for all you help and the fact that you stayed with me. I wish many good things your way. :) :):D

15. dai

dai

see how you go over the next week

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1112685

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice