1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Erratic mouse, viruses, other problems on a very sluggish computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by redswitch, Jun 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. redswitch

redswitch Thread Starter

Hi, this computer was give to me by my sister to use temporarily since my old one isn't working anymore. This is all I know of it:
    Dell Dimension 4100
    Windows ME
    Petium III
    128 MB RAM
    20 GB HD
    She installed a CD burner not sure on the specs.

She stopped using it cause it was really sluggish, not sure if burner was working, sound doesn't work, and it was infected with a bunch of viruses. Since she didn't want to deal with it she bought a laptop. I forsee myself using this computer til the end of this year.

First thing I want to tackle is this weird mouse behavior and it might be related to the sluggish feeling. I can startup the system and sit there after Windows load and the desktop is shown. The mouse is centered and I'm pretty sure all the startup programs are done loading, since I only have very few programs checked off for startup. The mouse will start doing its hourglass thing for no reason even if I don't touch a thing. When I move my mouse it would often veer off course or head in the opposite direction even. I have no clue why it's doing that. I've gotten ride of a lot of the viruses but it sort of feels like something huge is running in the background.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

2. TRS-80 vet

TRS-80 vet Account Closed

The hourglass symbol just tells ya that a program is runnin' in the background (could also be a derelict program - worm, i. e.)

Go to symantec.com, webroot.com - there's lots of free scan programs - and see what you got. If you're runnin' REAL slow, dump the temp internet files first. I got rid of some junk one time, re-scanned, and found the same nasties!!! Keep a re-scan in mind...

3. PunkPyro912

PunkPyro912

you could format HD and start everything fresh

4. Arcadion

Arcadion

PunkPyro912: yeah, that's what I would do in this situation.

5. redswitch

redswitch Thread Starter

As soon as I got the computer I put it through a bunch of scans. I used:
    Ad-aware, Spybot S&D, AVG, HijackThis!. The only thing I can't get rid of are files that won't let themselves be deleted cause they say it's in use, even in Safe Mode. Ad-aware used to detect them but haven't in last 2 scans but AVG is still detecting them:

C:\_RESTORE\TEMP\A0124960.CPY
    C:\_RESTORE\TEMP\A0133703.CPY then the ending goes 705.CPY, 707.CPY, 709.CPY... til 729.CPY
    AVG labels it I-Worm/Klez.E

Could that be the only thing that's causing this weird and slow behavior? Anyone know how I can get rid of that? I was hoping it wasn't spyware crap.

Edit:
    I really really don't want to format HD and start fresh. That's how I ruined my own computer. My computer refused to start normally after Windows was reinstalled. Plus this computer's a 'loan' and I'm just trying to fix it if I can.

6. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
  7. qldit

qldit

G'day redswitch, yes a rehash would be best for this circumstance.
    Just for interest you might try a little known antivirus program from India, called "smarcop" it has a free version that does not update, does not involve major installation stuff and is a real little tiger. It usually finds all the odd things that others miss.
    When it locates a problem it gives a request for action screen, be careful it will delete anything if instructed to..
    I keep it on a flashdrive and run it from there as a quick check on suspect machines.
    Cheers, qldit.

8. qldit

qldit

correction that should read "Smartcop" I just missed the "T".

9. redswitch

redswitch Thread Starter

13 of those files were I-Worm/Klez.E 2 of those files were Trojan Horse Dropper.Agent.2.BA and Trojan Horse Backdoor.Adbreaker.F

I tried the symantec thing, it didn't work. It refused to take off those files. I did a search on symantec for the other 2 and didn't find anything.

Spyaudit was the thing I downloaded from webroot but I don't really see anything. I even downloaded something called Forcedel to try to delete it but didn't work. I'll keep smartcop in mind. It feels like I've downloaded so much anti spyware stuff already :p I'm not even sure if deleting those files is a good idea. Anyone know specifically what those files do?

10. replay

replay

11. qldit

qldit

G'day from my experience it is quite easy to go deleting stuff and fine the machine doesn't like to work anymore.
    Many of the viral things invade operating system neccessary files purposely so it is a problem, when it reaches this kind of situation "you are damned if you do and damned if you don't" because they can be difficult to stop pro-creating further problems.
    In that there are so many thousands of files involved which are neccessary at some point in time you must eventually "bite the bullet" and re-program the thing from the word go. If you don't you place all your friends at potential risk.
    It is a good lesson learned, especially if it gets into the MBR or BIOS..(real hardway jackson stuff!)
    Cheers, qldit.

12. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Havent heard of anyone being attacked with the HCF virus (an actual bios destroyer)in years but sure as it was created it is still out there on someones machine. But at this point I am going to have to agree, it may just be time to reinstall the OS as though it were never installed before. Remembering that some of those dndy data files you may wish to keep may also be infested with a virus of sort or another by now. A clear case of making sureyou keep your anti virus software up to date and use it regularly. Such as a daily scan. TIme consuming you betcha, but how much more time consuming is rebuilding your lost work and saved files.

13. qldit

qldit

G'day Dustyjay, yes it can be a real pain, you commonly find an A/V is infected and doesn't detect any problems. I had one that took fifteen minutes to boot and ran like a siberian snail, the fellow was adamant it was virus free, but I installed and ran a known good major A/V and it began finding hundreds of viral replications, then for some reason ceased operating. I disabled it and ran a small simple A/V and "lo and behold" the computer had in the order of two thousand replicated viral things of about half a dozen different varieties, the A/V programs were all heavilly infected, that kind of suggested why they might not have worked all that well.
    I think a lot of infection may occur with update procedures, I recently found Adaware was infected in another.
    This free AVG program seems to be easily as good as the really expensive A/V's and I so far have not seen it infected. It certainly shows problems.
    I use the smartcop as a check on most machines, running from a flashdrive, it is quick, positive and doesn't miss much! Certainly saves a lot of headaches with problem analysyis.
    I certainly suggest never believing a clean scan is a true fact even if it is one of the expensive programs.
    Cheers, qldit.

14. redswitch

redswitch Thread Starter

Can't use the jotti thing :( Somehow the files that showed up infected all disappeared, the whole folder is empty now.

What's the website to smartcop? http://www.s-cop.com/ ? I just want to confirm the site since I used a search engine and I'm not exactly trusting everything :p

15. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    AVG is a great program, and as you pointed out it is totally free for the personal user.I use Norton Anti VIrus until my subscription runs out then I go back to AVG. If I ever have any question I use AVG after disabling Norton. Never heard of smartcop before I just had a look at the website.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/372918

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice