1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Erratic mouse

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by psmyth, Mar 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. psmyth

psmyth Thread Starter

Hi.

I've got a mouse problem that has developed independently on two different computers, one Win98, the other Win ME.

The mouse works OK when it is moved slowly, but behaves erratically when moved quickly. For example, if the pointer is in the middle of the screen and the mouse is moved quickly to the left, then the pointer will typically move crazily about in the middle third of the screen and usually end up on the right.

Drivers and mice have both been changed to no effect. The ME computer now has an optical mouse, so it can't be a mechanical problem.

The Win98 mouse is on COM1, the ME mouse is a PS/2.

I've fiddled about endlessly with the port settings on the Win98, changed ports etc. No effect whatsoever.

Any ideas?

Regards,
    psmyth

2. Norwalker

Norwalker

I am not sure this will help, but it is something to look at.

You didn't specify the mouse brand, but usually most come with software to adjust the mouse.

What you want to do is look for the mouse speed and acceleration. Be sure the speed is set to medium...and that acceleration is set to low. It sounds like the acceleration may be set too fast, causing the mouse to act erratically

Hope that is helpful :D

3. psmyth

psmyth Thread Starter

Both mice are generic, but the optical mouse (on Win ME) had it's own driver and software (it's a 5-button job with a wheel).

The problem remains the same on all acceleration and speed settings, even if the acceleration is turned off. The only difference is the screen distance covered by the erraticness (or is that erraticity?).

Thanks for trying.

Regards,
    psmyth

4. sykootic

sykootic

have you tried cleaning your mice? in the male mouse, the one with the ball, there are rollers inside that sense the movement of the mouse. These should be clean periodically. Also female mice, optical, get dirt in their hole. When my female mouse starts acting up, i give her a good cleaning and shes back to normal. Also cleaning the tracking surface helps too. GL

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/71687

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice